ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Finally, a robust keyboard shortcut app!

<< < (4/11) > >>

dnm:
I've been using KeyText by MJMSoft Design <http://www.mjmsoft.com/> for a few years now (on the recommendation of a friend) and I've grown to miss not having programmable key macros/hotkeys on whatever system I'm using.

I don't use the Windows key for my key macros with KeyText primarily because it didn't support capturing the Windows key when I first started using it (it might do so now, or it still might not; I haven't checked). Instead, I use Ctrl+Alt and then another letter because Ctrl and Alt are easy for my left hand to hit with my pinky and thumb on my Dell laptop keyboard. Ctrl+Alt+P launches PuTTY (easily one of the most used key macros I have), Ctrl+Alt+D writes out a long date and time stamp, Ctrl+Alt+C opens a command prompt, etc. I also used to use key macros extensively for "typing" boilerplate bits of text into emails, and still do so for things like my standard text file header, my email signature (which isn't always set in some rarely used web mail programs), and the like.

zridling:
Thanks for the recommendation, dnm!

zridling:
Just an update, for now I've switched full time to AutoHotkey to my delight.

reko100:
Just want to ask....is there any software that tells you all the hotkeys you have on your system?

i used AutoHotKey and didnt want to override some of pre-exsisting hotkeys on my system....

It would be nice if it can show which combinations are not in use, so that i can define my own hotkey.... :D

zridling:
Using AutoHotkey, you can overwrite even the existing system hotkeys if you want, such as those that use the WinKey (WK below):

WK+D,M
Show Desktop, Minimize Windows

WK+SHIFT+M
Undo Minimize Windows

WK+E
Windows Explorer

WK+F
Find Files using Windows Search

WK+R
Run...

WK+U
Windows Text Reader, Magnifier