ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Probably the single most obvious reason why DRM doesn't (and can't) work

<< < (2/2)

Tinman57:
  I've posted in the past that there has been many times where I couldn't even run the software that I bought and paid for because of the DRM.  I had to go to hacker sites to get the DRM-free copies.  What I found out from this is there is some software that is 60% or more DRM.  I bought a game on CD that wouldn't work.  There was almost no space left on the CD, but the downloaded DRM-free game was only about 5 mb total.  Some of these games weren't worth the time to install, crappy gameplay/graphics/etc.
  It got to the point where I was first downloading the hacked software to see if I liked it or not, then buying the legal copy and continued playing the hacked version for compatibility with my computer.

There's been a few times where I've bought music CD's only to find one or two songs max were good, and the rest of the songs were pure crap.  I started downloading the illegal copies to see how many good songs it had before ordering/buying the CD.  Of course now we can order music by the song on the internet with samples that makes it much easier.

xtabber:
You probably know the benefits of having an account with O'Reilly, but others may not.

Among them, the ability to add the ebook version of any of their titles you own in hard copy for an additional $4.99, and notification of updates to any of their titles you have registered with them.  Updates (e.g., from new printings) are free and new editions are typically 40%-50% off. Also, most of their titles are provided in epub, mobi and pdf format for a single purchase, so you can read them on any devices you own without jumping through hoops.

That said, I don't know that this model would work for the kind of books that people read once and discard, like popular fiction titles.

40hz:
That said, I don't know that this model would work for the kind of books that people read once and discard, like popular fiction titles.
-xtabber (March 20, 2013, 05:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

My GF is a big reader. She does the exact opposite. ;D She bought herself a Nook about a year ago and has been quite happy with it. She tends to read things on her Nook first. Then, if she really likes the title, she'll buy a paper copy. Which unfortunately is the exact thing the big booksellers seem to want her to stop doing.

KynloStephen66515:
As somebody who does pirate, and then purchases the content if it is something I want to use in the long-term...Adding DRM means I will simply continue using the pirated version...mainly cause if you add DRM, you're a dick...but mostly because it's easier.

Also...if you add "Always-Online DRM" to your shit...I would have never bought your product anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version