ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Can you inagine a world without any personal privacy? Because it's here.

<< < (2/4) > >>

40hz:
I'd just like to separate the "Author" and the "Distributor". You can have opinions of what CNN tends to carry, but Bruce Schneier has been in the game enough to read no matter what outlet he shows up in.
-TaoPhoenix (March 18, 2013, 09:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Agree.

But we're also judged by the company we keep.

And I've seen far too many former 'real' reporters cave in and start following the CNN company line over the years for me to be too forgiving. So if I'm guilty of tarring with an overly broad brush, it's not completely without reason.
 ;)

40hz:
  Basically I've been saying the same thing for the last 10 years, and have been "boo'ed" over it too many times to count.  So I just sit behind my computer wearing my tin-foil hat and watch as the world goes to hell in a handbasket....
-Tinman57 (March 18, 2013, 07:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

But only for so long before they finally come for you. At night. When you're helpless and alone. :tellme:

Renegade:
Anyone ever watch any old episodes of "The Twilight Zone" or "The Outer Limits"? Lots of those deal with these exact same issues.

I just watched "The Obsolete Man":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Obsolete_Man

Not the exact same topic, but related and relevant.

Privacy is a control issue, and most issues seem to come around eventually to control.

TaoPhoenix:
I think that with the coming of Google Glass(es), we'll have a turning point. When people have video-on that is "forever-on" aka their glasses and not even as clunky as pulling out their phone and waving it around, then all kinds of social assumptions will get thrashed around, because you will never ever know when *someone* quietly "clicks a pic/vid and then uploads it on the spot." (And once the "brand leader" breaks open the market segment, then *that* allows room for all of the variants to show up.)

It also might help those freedom fighters catch even more police abuse because then anyone within eyesight of the situation can be a witness and it's far harder for the police to get grumpy and say things like "turn your phone off".

It's unfortunately also easier for anyone to try to catch you in an embarrassing moment hoping for "viral gold".

So in short, there's a big mess coming down the digital highway!

vlastimil:
Yes, all this sensitive personal information about us is out there. Different entities have different pieces, buying, selling, renting them to make profit. And many people refuse to acknowledge this and like to live in an illusory world that it is possible to somehow contain this information and limit access to it.

I think this is a lost battle and instead of laws that prohibit collecting the information, there should be laws that make sharing of all collected information mandatory.

Would you be mad if your neighbor had access to your medical records, to list of items purchased in the last year in that sex-shop, or to a map that shows where your cell phone has been at each moment and what numbers you have called and even recordings of the calls? The problem is that the information exists and is obtainable. It cannot be contained. If it were publicly accessible by anyone (and not just shady individuals), I bet everyone would be much more careful and encrypted their digital trail... But this just scares people so much that they rather keep pretending that the information is unobtainable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version