ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software to control Wallpaper?

(1/3) > >>

tomos:
Does some software exist for working with desktop wallpaper?

Current options for desktop wallpaper are:

* Fit
* Fill
* Stretch
* Tile
* Centre
Fit will stretch a smaller image to desktop height (doesnt look good)
Centre will not reduce larger images to screen size
so,
what's missing is an option like you get in good viewers:

* Centre - and reduce to fit in screen if necessary
Naturally I could resize the images, but that means a lot less flexibility (i.e. I'm a lazy beggar)

Another nice option would be the ability to cycle manually forward/back through images on the desktop via a hotkey.

rsatrioadi:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Fill option does exactly what you want?

tomos:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Fill option does exactly what you want?
-rsatrioadi (March 15, 2013, 11:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

had to double-check there:

Fill enlarges the image so as it completely fills the screen (i.e. the shorter side of the image is stretched to screenheight or width) - which doesnt look good.

I like the images that are smaller than the screen left that way (with a background showing) - see this post for examples
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=25840.msg320944#msg320944

(sorry if not fully clear - rushing off)

skwire:
As rsatrioadi said, correct me if I'm wrong but:

* Does "Fit" work how you like for images taller/wider than your screen height/width?
* Does "Centre" work how you like for smaller images?
If that's the case, I guess you're asking for something that will intelligently determine which method to use based on image size and screen resolution?

tomos:

* Does "Fit" work how you like for images taller/wider than your screen height/width?
* Does "Centre" work how you like for smaller images?
If that's the case, I guess you're asking for something that will intelligently determine which method to use based on image size and screen resolution?
-skwire (March 15, 2013, 01:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

yes, yes, and, yes :-)
(just in case - note that "Fit" is different to "Fill" which was suggested by rsatrioadi)

Fit to screen is good for larger images. Or fit to a fixed width and heigth (smaller than the screen)

I would love to be able to manually cycle through the images but suspect that might be impossible(?) - in which case maybe a batch resizer might be the best option (e.g. reduce height to 1050 if larger, reduce width to -say- 1000 if larger. Constrain proportions.) I just had a look at IrfanView - it could do that easy enough.

~~~

Another idea I just had:
is if an image is larger than xy, then a random section of the image (size xy) would be shown centered on the screen. Sort of like a window into the image.

edit/ adding thumbnail image for last idea (desktop with icons on both sides):

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version