ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Ad-Blockers Kicked From Google Store

<< < (4/5) > >>

Tinman57:
Am I missing something? Google's PlayStore is not like Apple or Microsoft's App store. You can download apps from any web and install it, just tap on the downloaded file. OK they can stop the app appearing on PlayStore but it doesn't stop you manually installing it for the developers website.

Maybe removing AdBlock Plus from Play Store is manipulative - but it may also because it doesn't actually work well and causing a lot of users big headaches on locked phones where they don't have access to Proxy settings!
-Carol Haynes (March 16, 2013, 08:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's why I lead off with the statement "Any time your locked into a proprietary system for apps"

Carol Haynes:
Am I missing something? Google's PlayStore is not like Apple or Microsoft's App store. You can download apps from any web and install it, just tap on the downloaded file. OK they can stop the app appearing on PlayStore but it doesn't stop you manually installing it for the developers website.

Maybe removing AdBlock Plus from Play Store is manipulative - but it may also because it doesn't actually work well and causing a lot of users big headaches on locked phones where they don't have access to Proxy settings!
-Carol Haynes (March 16, 2013, 08:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's why I lead off with the statement "Any time your locked into a proprietary system for apps"
-Tinman57 (March 16, 2013, 07:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmmm - I was responding to the comment:

Perhaps when GoOgle and the others see a severe drop in the sales of their closed app phones, they will reconsider this totalitarian system of theirs or go the way of the dinosaurs
-Tinman57 (March 15, 2013, 08:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Which seems to argue that Android is a closed eco-system - have I misunderstood?

Tinman57:
Hmmm - I was responding to the comment:

Perhaps when GoOgle and the others see a severe drop in the sales of their closed app phones, they will reconsider this totalitarian system of theirs or go the way of the dinosaurs
-Tinman57 (March 15, 2013, 08:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Which seems to argue that Android is a closed eco-system - have I misunderstood?
-Carol Haynes (March 16, 2013, 07:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

OIC!  I was going to word that differently after I typed it, but got sidetracked by a system error and a cat screaming to go outside.  LOL!  It was supposed to say "Perhaps when GoOgle stops their anti-consumerisms and the others see a severe drop in the sales of their closed app phones, they will reconsider this totalitarian system of theirs or go the way of the dinosaurs.".... or something like that anyhow. lol  I'll see if it will let me correct it.  Good catch though!   :) 

ewemoa:
Thanks for the clarification -- I was confused too :)

Tinman57:
Thanks for the clarification -- I was confused too :)
-ewemoa (March 17, 2013, 06:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's why I hate starting a post and getting sidetracked before finishing it.  Seems the older I get, the harder it is to get back on track once interrupted.  Guess my brainium is starting to go by way of the dinosaurs as well.   ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version