ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Ad-Blockers Kicked From Google Store

<< < (3/5) > >>

Tinman57:
  Any time your locked into a proprietary system for apps, they will tell you what you can and cannot install on the phone you bought.  IMO, it's just wrong, but if you bought the phone with this knowledge in mind, then you really don't have a leg to stand on.  Next time, go with a phone that allows you to install apps from any source.  Perhaps when GoOgle stops their anti-consumerisms, and the others see a severe drop in the sales of their closed app phones, they will reconsider this totalitarian system of theirs or go the way of the dinosaurs......

Carol Haynes:
Perhaps when GoOgle and the others see a severe drop in the sales of their closed app phones, they will reconsider this totalitarian system of theirs or go the way of the dinosaurs.....
-Tinman57 (March 15, 2013, 08:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Am I missing something? Google's PlayStore is not like Apple or Microsoft's App store. You can download apps from any web and install it, just tap on the downloaded file. OK they can stop the app appearing on PlayStore but it doesn't stop you manually installing it for the developers website.

Maybe removing AdBlock Plus from Play Store is manipulative - but it may also because it doesn't actually work well and causing a lot of users big headaches on locked phones where they don't have access to Proxy settings!

Outertech Support:
I've tried all the Adblockers when their were still in the Playstore, and all of them still displayed Google ads on Google search. Is there an Adblocker that removes Google ads?

Carol Haynes:
On windows there is an addon to Adblock plus to remove google ads (if you mean the ones down the right and side) - not sure if it exists on android. If you mean the embedded ads in the search results I have not seen any way to avoid those.

(actually scratch that it was only to block google ads in Gmail)

Outertech Support:
On Windows all Adblockers, including Adblock plus remove Google ads just fine. On Android I've tested all of them, and they left Google ads (the ones with yellow background). I guess since they were in Playstore the Devs tried to not piss off Google (but failed).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version