ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Ad-Blockers Kicked From Google Store

<< < (2/5) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Read my edited post above ... AdBlock Plus for Android is not working well at all - unless you want all browsers to freeze, crash out or display unusable pages!

Word of warning - it also screws up proxy settings! Not a big problem on recent Android builds but on older builds the user can't edit the proxy setting, esp. on un-rooted devices.

Read the install notes and FAQs on adblock's website before messing about with this.

Definitely not ready for prime time IMHO!

TaoPhoenix:
Eek!

Renegade:
Good attempt to be balanced, Ren!
-TaoPhoenix (March 14, 2013, 08:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Every now and then I try. :P

40hz:
I don't have a problem with a company refusing to be involved with, or in support of something. If Google does not want ad blockers in their store, that is their prerogative.

What I do have a problem with is that this same store is the duly authorized and official channel for which to obtain and install software for this platform. And while Android may be "Google's" - it was based on Linux. So the notion of attempting (however loosely) to restrict what gets loaded under it strikes me as playing a little fast and loose with the GPL. And although Android is officially been released by Google under the Apache License, that doesn't change the fact that GPL3 also applies.

Being able to do a side install -while fine as a workaround - is still a workaround. And it's a dangerous thing to tolerate since it opens up the possibility for a huge can of legal worms some time down the road.

I'm all for Google's decision. It makes sense since ad blocking runs counter to Google's business model.

What I object to is being single-sourced on an "authorized" way to purchase and install software. Maybe Android doesn't put you through the hoops Apple does making you jailbreak their devices - but it's still hardly acceptable IMO to put any impediment (other than an DIAYOYO warning or two) in the way of what a device owner wants to do with their own device.

The problem is not Google blocking the blockers. The real problem is that Google gets to block anything at all.

-------------------

And yes, I "know" we don't actually "own" our smartphones and tablets, we merely "license" them...

Something to which I (and anybody else with enough of a functioning brain to still support respiratory functions) says: Codswallop!
 >:(

Deozaan:
If anybody needs the APK for AdFree, I have it. :)

I think it requires root/su privileges. So YMMV.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version