ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google Reader gone

<< < (29/32) > >>

Josh:
Is there such a thing as a desktop reader that has a "mini web server" built in to host a web-based version of the feeds for accessing remotely? I could see use in something like this. I had many issues getting TinyTinyRSS to auto-refresh when I wasn't logged in, and in fact it still does not work. Something along these lines would be perfect!

wraith808:
At any point in time I'm actively monitoring a list of between 100 and 150 feeds. About a third of the feeds in this list change periodically depending on what I'm interested in staying on top of.

It doesn't take much to skim through them using the Sage extension in Firefox and mark the articles I want to read later. Anything I want to keep can be filed either in Scrapbook or online in my Pocket account.
-40hz (July 31, 2013, 02:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

1. What's scrapbook?

2. We need a thread where people suggest their favorite feeds/sites and why. :)

IainB:
...1. What's scrapbook?...
-wraith808 (July 31, 2013, 02:52 PM)
--- End quote ---
"Scrapbook" is an incredibly useful Firefox add-on used for capturing web pages in their entirety, or selected parts of them, or several nested webpages - including embedded files (as required). It has a built-in search/index. I think it is probably unique.
webpage: http://amb.vis.ne.jp/mozilla/scrapbook/?lang=en

kartal:
Is there such a thing as a desktop reader that has a "mini web server" built in to host a web-based version of the feeds for accessing remotely? I could see use in something like this. I had many issues getting TinyTinyRSS to auto-refresh when I wasn't logged in, and in fact it still does not work. Something along these lines would be perfect!
-Josh (July 31, 2013, 02:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

You need to set a cron job type thing, it is in the ttrss wiki. It works when you set it up. TTrss does not do refreshing by its own.

wraith808:
-Josh (July 31, 2013, 02:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

You need to set a cron job type thing, it is in the ttrss wiki. It works when you set it up. TTrss does not do refreshing by its own.
-kartal (August 01, 2013, 01:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

It actually does do it on its own while you have it open in the browser from my reading, i.e. from this link:

Simple background updates (since 1.7.0)
If all else fails and you can't use any of the above methods, you can enable simple update mode where tt-rss will try to periodically update feeds while it is open in your web browser. Obviously, no updates will happen when tt-rss is not open or your computer is not running.

To enable this mode, set constant SIMPLE_UPDATE_MODE to true in config.php.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version