ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google Reader gone

<< < (27/32) > >>

johnk:
As I stated in a previous post, if you're looking for a hosted reader, I would recommend Bazqux. I've been using it since GR's demise, and it's working well.

But as the death of The Old Reader shows, there is likely to be a lot of volatility in the RSS reader market in the coming months, and as others have said, hosting your own is the most reliable option.

I had almost given up on finding a self-hosted option that I liked. Although I subscribed to Bazqux, I kept a lookout for new self-hosted options. A week or so ago, I came across Leed. It's the first self-hosted option that I've really enjoyed using. Certainly worth a try. I'm now using both Bazqux and Leed in parallel, and I'll do that for as long as it takes for one to stand out as the best option, although Leed has an automatic advantage because it's self-hosted.

Leed and the Leed web site are French, with no built-in translation, but one user has put together an English version, and that's what I'm using.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I'm also testing another self-hosted option, Miniflux, which is promising (although it's a "river of news"-style reader rather than a folder-based reader)

wraith808:
Miniflux only supports 5 feeds also it appears... unless I'm reading something wrong.

It looks like I'm deciding between bq and newsflux... unless something else comes along.

johnk:
Miniflux only supports 5 feeds also it appears... unless I'm reading something wrong.
-wraith808 (July 29, 2013, 10:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not sure where you got that? I'm using it on about 100 feeds without any issues.

wraith808:
-wraith808 (July 29, 2013, 10:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not sure where you got that? I'm using it on about 100 feeds without any issues.
-johnk (July 30, 2013, 06:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's why I asked.  He said it only supports 5 feeds in parallel... then when someone asked if it would support 600 feeds (surely an arbitrary number) he came back with snark.  So I didn't really get an idea of what it *will* handle.

johnk:
That's why I asked.  He said it only supports 5 feeds in parallel... then when someone asked if it would support 600 feeds (surely an arbitrary number) he came back with snark.
-wraith808 (July 30, 2013, 08:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

The "5 feeds in parallel" refers to the method for refreshing feeds from the UI. I don't know what that means, to be honest, maybe someone else can chip in. I use a cron job to refresh feeds, which updates all feeds reliably.

Relevant quote: "Miniflux uses an Ajax request to refresh each subscription. By default, there is only 5 feeds updated in parallel."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version