ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google Reader gone

<< < (26/32) > >>

dr_andus:
I can't imagine why they'd put the comments there, but I decided that I'd move on.
-cyberdiva (July 06, 2013, 12:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

I presume that this is why the service is free, i.e. the developer might be making some commission on 'encouraging' people to check out Chrome (just speculating) or use the Chrome extension.

However, I've been using it in Firefox and it's been working fine. I have not tested the Chrome extension, so can't say anything about that.

Perhaps check out the reviews here, this is where I first heard about them (in fact I was directed there from the defunct Google Reader page, by Google):

http://alternativeto.net/software/google-reader/

johnk:
I agree Inoreader is one of the best of the new breed of RSS readers. But I am wary simply on the basis that it lacks a business model. At first it was a one-man project, with no charge to users, then recently it was adopted as a project by the company the creator works for. But there's still no concrete plan to charge, just the notion that it will be "freemium" at some stage.

Now that everyone has gotten over the "shock" of GR's closure, and realised it's not such a big deal swapping readers, I guess people will worry less about some of the new alternatives closing. But close some of them will, and at the moment I feel more comfortable supporting a reader with only paying users. You know where you are, and so does the creator of the reader. But this market will continue to evolve rapidly. Already, the owner of Feedbin has raised his monthly charge to $3/month or $30/year (for new users)...but I will consider InoReader again when they reveal their fee structure.

dr_andus:
You make valid points, but I'd say that signing up to a fledgling service with no apparent business model is also a way of supporting that idea and business. Another benefit of doing it is that early adopters quite often get a good deal out of being beta testers, by being excused from upgrade fees etc.

40hz:
I did end up subscribing to Bazqux. But the more I thought about it, the more I decided to follow my own advice that the only server you can really trust is the one you yourself control.

So now I'm experimenting with TinyTinyRSS, which looks really promising. The initial test running it on Softalicious' AMPPS stack (highly recommended for any test environment btw) definitely made it look worth pursuing further. If it turns out to be a go I'll eventually do a more permanent version running on a Linux server (probably Arch) and that will be that.

My RSS aggregator - my choice. D.I.Y. or Die! ;D

8)

wraith808:
Oh well... I'm back to looking for a reader.  The Old Reader bites the dust.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version