ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google Reader gone

<< < (25/32) > >>

IainB:
^^ goread.io just doesn't seem to work for me. I have tried it a few times.

This list of alternatives to Google Reader is quite useful from alternativeTo: http://alternativeto.net/software/google-reader/
The link is provided in the latest shutdown notice from Google Reader: Google Reader's Final Message

IainB:
I had already anticipated that Google Alerts would remove RSS, so get the reports via email at present, whilst I find a decent workaround.
Refer: Google Alerts Drops RSS Feeds

IainB:
If you also missed Google web page monitoring, killed in 2010, try this: http://updatescanner.mozdev.org/
It's really very useful.

dr_andus:
I haven't done any in-depth research, but I've been scanning reviews, and eventually I settled on InoReader, which doesn't seem to have been mentioned on this forum yet.

My criteria were to try find something as close to the Google Reader experience in terms of simplicity as possible. I wasn't looking for any fancy intelligent processing or social networking. From what I've seen so far, InoReader came the closest. It's also free (for now).

So far so good. There were a couple of quirks in setting it up (I couldn't import an OPML file properly, but the XML export from Google Reader worked; and for some reason the service still says I need to validate my email, even though I've already done it several times), but otherwise it works and seems to be fast enough on the desktop. The iOS interface on the iPad (in the Safari browser) does not match the Google Reader experience as well, but for now I can live with it.

cyberdiva:
InoReader looked rather interesting, but when I clicked on "see what other readers say about InoReader," a message appeared at the top of my screen that said "You will need Google Chrome to install most apps, extensions and themes.  Download Chrome now."  Apparently, the link to other readers' remarks went to chrome.google.com/webstore/.  I can't imagine why they'd put the comments there, but I decided that I'd move on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version