ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google Reader gone

<< < (16/32) > >>

phitsc:
I've also settled for Feedly for the time being. Like IainB I find it inferior to Google Reader, especially its interface. It's not slow for me though. I wish it had https.

IainB:
Notes from me:

* Feedly: (Web-based app.) Not bad at all! Still looking like the best bet, though it takes some getting used to and is a bit kludgy - and might not be as sophisticated as GR.
* QuiteRSS: (a free PC client app.) Not bad at all! Different to use, takes some getting used to. I am still playing with this. Seems to upset the cursor with sporadic movements whilst it is running, which makes the cursor jump seemingly randomly when you are typing in other applications. Annoying as all heck.
* Digg: (Web-based app.) Apparently nothing publicly available that works (anyone else find that too?). Lots of hype, verbiage and news posts but nothing actually there, and apparently nothing of much use has been communicated to their mailing list of supporters (I'm on it).
* Hitler was pretty annoyed: Hitler finds out Google Reader is shutting down.

sicknero:
I didn't really want a browser based reader so spent a while trying out a few different ones.

RSS Owl - gorgeous GUI but requires JRE and the portable version tends to forget everything. Also slow and a bit of a cpu hog when updating reads.

QuiteRSS - Quite nice :-) I stuck with this one for a couple of weeks but although it doesn't use java I still found that it would tie up all my CPU cycles while updating.

I'm now settled on Great News which has a nice interface, enough features and is the lightest I've found so far in terms of resource usage while updating.

An honourable mention to Desktop Ticker - add whatever RSS feeds you like to it and it scrolls the headlines across your screen in news ticker form. Appearance is customisable, it can float or dock, if you hover over a headline you get more info and if you click on the headline it opens the full story. Great stuff.

Lol IainB, I should have known there'd be a Downfall parody  ;D ("Anyone who thinks social media is a valid replacement for an RSS reader leave the room now" lololololololol..)

cyberdiva:
I tried Feedly but I couldn't get it to show me all my feeds, and no matter what "view" I tried, I couldn't find one that was similar to what I had (and liked) on Google Reader.  Then a day or so ago, I read that FeedDemon Pro was now free.  It's not browser-based, though you can read the feed links in your browser if you want to.  It's free, it doesn't ask for a name or password, you just download FeedDemon 4.5 from the website and install it on your computer.  I imported all my Google Reader feeds and I was good to go.  So far, I'm very pleased.  :Thmbsup:

johnk:
FeedDemon Pro is excellent, I've been using it for years. But as mentioned earlier in this thread, it has gone free because the program is now dead. The developer has explained in some detail why the program will no longer be developed. FeedDemon now only makes sense for people who will only read their feeds on the desktop. I imagine that's now a small minority, but I may be wrong...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version