ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google Reader gone

<< < (12/32) > >>

40hz:
Heise Media UK recently published a fairly extensive article on their H-Open  :-* blog about replacing GoogleReader functionality with currently available software and hosting solutions. Read it here.

For a large number of information collectors and collators on the internet the current challenge is to find a replacement for the Google Reader service. The H's Fabian Scherschel has looked at what functionality made Google Reader popular and what are the current best alternatives to the Reader experience.
This article will give an overview of the most popular alternatives to Google Reader that currently exist, starting with hosted services (open source and proprietary) and progressing to self-hosted, open source alternatives, and one rather unique self-hosted proprietary package. Although the focus here is primarily on web-based software, as we are looking to replicate Google Reader's most important characteristics, we have included a roundup of the native open source RSS readers that are available on the Linux desktop, as some users might want to switch to desktop software instead or use it to complement a web-based service. ...
--- End quote ---

8)

cyberdiva:
Thanks very much, 40hz.  I found the H-Open discussion helpful.

wraith808:
I commented out that line and now it works--sort of. Actually, it tells me that I need to use PHP 5.3.0 or newer. I guess I'm still on 5.2.x . . .
-Deozaan (March 27, 2013, 04:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, that is one of the requirements.  ;D

Heise Media UK recently published a fairly extensive article on their H-Open  :-* blog about replacing GoogleReader functionality with currently available software and hosting solutions. Read it here.
-40hz (March 27, 2013, 06:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

Until reading that article, I didn't know that NewsBlur was downloadable- I might start looking more closely at that...  Thanks 40!

johnk:
-40hz (March 27, 2013, 06:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the link -- that's the best summary of options I've seen so far. One thing I'd add -- in the article's description of Fever, it concentrates on the fact that Fever can rank news items by "temperature": a particular news item is hotter the more it is being talked about. But it's worth noting that if you don't include any feeds in Fever's "Sparks" list, then Fever behaves like a normal RSS reader, with all your feeds visible in full, in folders if you use them. I've been using Fever this way -- I haven't used the temperature feature.

Deozaan:
TinyTinyRSS sucks.

At first it wouldn't work because of an error in its own code.
Then I had to upgrade PHP (which admittedly shouldn't count against TTRSS)
Then I had to figure out why it couldn't connect to the mysql database (I had to put the username/password/etc. in single quotes instead of double quotes, even though the file had the sample text inside double quotes)
I finally got it working to the point where I could login and configure it and then I tried to import my Google Reader subscriptions but it just encounters some more errors.

:down: :down:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version