ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google Reader gone

<< < (10/32) > >>

erikts:
Google Reader is going down.
Find the best Reader replacements before it's too late.
Send a tweet with #sitename and #replacereader to vote for your favorite.

http://www.replacereader.com/

Top 10
#Feedly
#NewsBlur
#Bloglovin
#TheOldReader
#Bloglines
#TinyTinyRSS
#Pulse
#Flipboard
#Fever
#wavii

IainB:
Interesting and relevant post here: An Apology To My RSS Readers – But I Had To Do It. (Updated)

It shows that what I suggested (in an earlier post somewhere) is true - i.e., that using Google Reader (or other feed aggregator) meant you could get an idea of a news/post item without going to the web page and without creating any ad-clicks (monetisation). So it is a potential commercial loss - unless you get the user to visit the page - though it is probably great from the user's perspective, of course.

kyrathaba:
Google, destroyer of ecosystems.. And what he describes in Google's MO is startlingly familiar.  Quite similar to what MS used to do.
--- End quote ---

+1 !!

40hz:
Interesting and relevant post here: An Apology To My RSS Readers – But I Had To Do It. (Updated)

It shows that what I suggested (in an earlier post somewhere) is true - i.e., that using Google Reader (or other feed aggregator) meant you could get an idea of a news/post item without going to the web page and without creating any ad-clicks (monetisation). So it is a potential commercial loss - unless you get the user to visit the page - though it is probably great from the user's perspective, of course.
-IainB (March 26, 2013, 04:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

I find it interesting how so many (who do know better) keep trying to refer to RSS as "creaky" and "outdated" when what they're really trying to do is justify abandoning something quite useful and easy to implement which thousands have found good use for.

I'm glad to see the article brought up the issue of unauthorized content scraping however. That is a serious issue which will eventually put much of what's worth reading on the web out of business if it continues. At least as far as the smaller self-supporting content providers, who try to provide their readers with an experience that goes a basic blog, are concerned. And unfortunately, full text RSS feeds do make it very easy to scrape. There are even horror stories of scrapers filing DMCA takedown notices against the original content creators as a preemptive strike when confronted.

A real problem with no easy solution I'm afraid.

But implying that RSS is "outdated" or "ancient" or somehow in need of abandonment because it "doesn't work" (as some are saying) is more than a little disingenuous. If RSS isn't practical or 'working' any more, it's not for technical reasons. It's for commercial ones.

tomos:
Digg have plans:

http://www.digg.com/reader
http://blog.digg.com/post/45355701332/were-building-a-reader

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version