ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google Reader gone

<< < (13/32) > >>

allen:
While I'm definitely shocked about the news, I never saw it coming... I have mixed feelings. My OPML has moved around a lot. There were a few programs (and at least one service (anybody remember Lektora?)) I'd used before Google Reader... and since, I've gone back and forth a lot. I'd find an app or service I liked better and use it, then I'd go back to Google because I wanted to sync with my phone or tablet. This is my problem. Google Reader came along and became the defacto API... and as a result, I've long felt held hostage by Google Reader. I may find an app or service that I like much better but because it doesn't sync with google it only works on one screen. If I want seamless states between my pcs, phone and tablet I've got to have Google in the middle. The sync state was handy, but there was a down side. Google stopped innovating the day they released reader. The only major changes they oversaw were removing social features and, now, pulling the plug.

So I guess I feel liberated. I was on the verge of returning to reader for its API when the news broke... now, they don't have that over my head. Some say RSS is dead but I think Google getting out of the game isn't going to kill it, it's going to breathe life into it. For years now status quo has been refining the interface to the Google Reader API. Now we move on.

edbro:
I too mourn the loss. I've been searching for an alternative, like everyone else. My need is for it to be cross platform/cross device. I've tried to like Feedly. The web version is great but the mobile versions suck, IMO. I think I have settled on Netvibes. It has the look and feel of GReader. No mobile apps but the mobile web page is pretty slick.

I had used Netvibes already as a start page using the widget interface. If you turn on the Reader interface then it works just like GReader.

I'm anxious to see what Digg is going to offer, and how soon.

Jibz:
I was playing around with some of the alternatives, and noticed something strange in the reviews of the feedly app for chrome on google play -- pretty much all reviews on the first two pages are exactly the same two comments from different people:

Feedly has managed to create a visually appealing RSS reader, that also focuses on a clean simple visual style that is intuitive to use.
--- End quote ---
and
Since the announcement of Google Reader being discontinued, I have enjoyed this easy app. It also has a simple, attractive interface. Highly recommend.
--- End quote ---

Does anybody know how this happens?

I am not saying it's some form of scam, but I wonder if it could be something like a 'feature' in the app that lets you post a review if you like it, and suggests some standard quote like this.

IainB:
..I'm anxious to see what Digg is going to offer, and how soon.
-edbro (March 28, 2013, 07:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, so am I. I have signed up for their ßeta interest group and user surveys. I have just completed their second survey, in which they link to this very interesting post from BuzzFeed.com - which I had not seen before - about Google Reader and its demise: Google's Lost Social Network.

Warning: If you read it, you might find yourself - like me - getting all pissed-off again about Google killing Google Reader.    >:(

nosh:
Bump!

So how's everyone getting on? I plan to stick with my RSS app of choice (Mr.Reader on iPad).

The developer says he's finished implementing support for bazqux.com, feedbin.me, feedhq.org and feedwrangler.net. He's willing to implement support for other services so long as they have Google Reader compatible (or otherwise decent) APIs.

He's also implemented support for Fever (feedafever.com) but people who plan on using it need to know -
The Fever API does not currently allow you to manage feeds and folders (adding new feeds, renaming folders, moving feeds into folders, etc.). Unfortunately I was unable to make contact with the developer (he’s working on other projects).
--- End quote ---

Feedly has also paired up with 3rd party app devs. Incidentally, they've admitted their apps suck  ;D , though not in so many words. They're hand-picking the apps they're willing to support though.

Some interesting info on the 'Mr.Reader' blog (even for non-users):
Supported Google Reader Alternatives (part one)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version