ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google Reader gone

<< < (11/32) > >>

eleman:
Digg have plans:
-tomos (March 26, 2013, 07:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Down with the cloud, and down with any cloud-based plans. I have 40 years to live [at the outside], and I believe I can make do with my desktop based paradigm for that period. Dad was able to find a typewriter repairman 3 years ago, I am sure I can find spare parts for my computer in 2050.

wraith808:
Digg have plans:

http://www.digg.com/reader
http://blog.digg.com/post/45355701332/were-building-a-reader

-tomos (March 26, 2013, 07:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'd trust Digg any more than Google?  Especially after what happened to Digg?

Down with the cloud, and down with any cloud-based plans. I have 40 years to live [at the outside], and I believe I can make do with my desktop based paradigm for that period. Dad was able to find a typewriter repairman 3 years ago, I am sure I can find spare parts for my computer in 2050.
-eleman (March 26, 2013, 07:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Personally, I think there should be options.  That includes cloud-based.  Let the people decide what they want, rather than anyone deciding what our options are/should be.

johnk:
The closure of Google Reader has been a painful lesson for many people. Although I have been increasingly worried about my reliance on The Cloud, I tried to be careful about the cloud services I chose.

I was sure that Google would never shut Reader, because although it's a niche service, it's a service used mainly by the early adopters/opinion formers/call them whatever you like -- the people in each household who know about computers, the people who give advice to other household members on what services to use. Google couldn't possibly be stupid enough to shut Reader and face the wrath of the early adopters.

I was wrong.

Lesson 2: the closure of cloud services that you use heavily is more painful than the disappearance of your favourite piece of desktop software. Generally, you can keep using the desktop software for years. The closure of Reader gives me a relatively close deadline to reorganise my online life. I spend most of my online day reading stuff in software that syncs with Reader.

I've installed both Tiny Tiny RSS (free) and Fever ($30) on my own server. I’m currently running both and switching between them to see which I prefer. Fever is easier to set up than TT-RSS.

I already use my own domain for email and use a paid email hosting service. I have no intention of trying Google's new service, Keep, despite my addiction to note-taking apps. Google have made their position clear. In so far as it is possible, it is time to de-cloud, and particularly to de-Google, my life. Hosting your own services is the only rational long-term solution.

40hz:
Lifehacker recently published a step-by-step on setting up TinyTinyRSS. Read it here.

Syncing RSS Reader with Tiny Tiny RSS and Kick Google Reader to the Curb
Alan Henry   

Yes, Google Reader is going away, and yes, there are great alternatives. However, if you're tired of web services shutting down on you, why not take matters into your own hands? Tiny Tiny RSS is a free, open-source syncing RSS platform with more features than Google Reader ever had, and it can't get shut down. Here's how to install it and set it up.

What You'll Get

Setting up Tiny Tiny RSS requires a little patience, but it's deceptively easy. I had my instance set up and web-accessible within a few hours, and I spent a few more tweaking all of the settings and options just the way I wanted them. At the end of the day you'll have a web page that you can visit at any time, on any device, to read all of the latest articles from the blogs you subscribe to. Tiny Tiny RSS supports filters and labels, so you can organize those feeds into categories, filter out the stories you don't want, and organize them so you read the interesting things first. You can also score feeds, so the blogs you like the most float to the top. There are more features than we have time to get into, but you can read more about them here...
--- End quote ---

They have an Android app available for it too. :Thmbsup:

Deozaan:
Lifehacker recently published a step-by-step on setting up TinyTinyRSS. Read it here.

They have an Android app available for it too. :Thmbsup:
-40hz (March 26, 2013, 07:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

I tried to set this up, but I'm getting an error:

Warning: Unexpected character in input: '\' (ASCII=92) state=1 in /index.php on line 98

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting ',' or ';' in /index.php on line 98
--- End quote ---

Line 98 is:

--- ---echo JShrink/Minifier::minify($p->get_js());
I commented out that line and now it works--sort of. Actually, it tells me that I need to use PHP 5.3.0 or newer. I guess I'm still on 5.2.x . . .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version