ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google Reader gone

<< < (7/32) > >>

wraith808:
I found a laughable article on ZDNet, about why are you using RSS in 2013.  The replacement?  Twitter.

Please.  Twitter is barely useful unless you're in the always connected always checking universe.  And with people checking in to everywhere they go and posting up so much noise that the signal is strangled, I don't see how anyone could confuse Twitter with news aggregation.

wraith808:
Huh? How did Google control the news flow? I'm the one who put the feeds I wanted to follow into Google Reader.
-Deozaan (March 18, 2013, 12:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

Winer's talking about what he believes Google wants to do (and why Google Reader and RSS may not fit into Google's plans), not that they were doing it with Reader.
-mwb1100 (March 18, 2013, 02:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

No, he's talking about what they could possibly do with Reader.

"Never used the damn thing. Didn't trust the idea of a big company like Google's interests being so aligned with mine that I could trust them to get all my news."

--- End quote ---

This is about Reader.

paulobrabo:
Obviously we shouldn't trust the official reasons Google offered for killing Reader. The demise of Reader is a massive statement on how Google believes the internet should not be read: [1] as a private, unmediated experience (as opposed to a "social" reading experience, say facebook, twitter or Plus) and [2] with an open standard (RSS) serving as a direct link between reader and content producer.

I use Reader A LOT - more than any other Google product, but I'm kind of grateful for the wake up call. It reminds me that Google won't hesitate before cancelling any other service, even one that feels as "natural" as, say, blogger. Blogging is declining in usage as much as Reader, I guess.

Sorry guys, but I've got to agree with Dave Winer on this one. By Google killing its own RSS, suddenly there's new competition for that software space again, and one less space that Google won't control or censor.-zridling (March 17, 2013, 10:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

This guy I mentioned before is even more on the spot, I'd say:

Google, destroyer of ecosystems

wraith808:

This guy I mentioned before is even more on the spot, I'd say:

Google, destroyer of ecosystems

-paulobrabo (March 18, 2013, 05:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the link... nice article!  And what he describes in Google's MO is startlingly familiar.  Quite similar to what MS used to do.

Hmmm...

Tuxman:
A German "journalist" ("ZEIT" magazine) wrote that this is the end of RSS and it means that "news are now only available via Facebook which isn't open".

Oh the humanity.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version