ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google Reader gone

<< < (6/32) > >>

wraith808:
Blogger's been sort of iffy on its feeds (serving things in batches sometimes, making it less than timely), so I wonder if that was the first step...

zridling:
Sorry guys, but I've got to agree with Dave Winer on this one. By Google killing its own RSS, suddenly there's new competition for that software space again, and one less space that Google won't control or censor: "People will be well-served by a newly revitalized market for RSS products, now that the dominant product, the 800-pound gorilla, is withdrawing."
http://www.zdnet.com/rss-inventor-doesnt-see-what-all-the-fuss-is-about-closing-google-reader-7000012687/

Deozaan:
Huh? How did Google control the news flow? I'm the one who put the feeds I wanted to follow into Google Reader.

wraith808:
Huh? How did Google control the news flow? I'm the one who put the feeds I wanted to follow into Google Reader.
-Deozaan (March 18, 2013, 12:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

You set up the the feeds, but they controlled what came into them.  They could put a filter on it, and other than by someone else telling you there was something else on the site, you wouldn't know.  Sort of like their search now.  Unless you go somewhere else and search, you don't know that there's something missing.

mwb1100:
-Deozaan (March 18, 2013, 12:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

Winer's talking about what he believes Google wants to do (and why Google Reader and RSS may not fit into Google's plans), not that they were doing it with Reader.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version