ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Left-handed help needed !

<< < (2/4) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
Thanks for the typing tip Renegade, that will help - I'm also looking for ideas for "everyday" things : try cutting a slice of bread from a loaf with only your left hand.
-joiwind (March 11, 2013, 09:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Get the bakery to do it for you!   ;)

kunkel321:
Maybe this? http://www.talktyper.com/

barney:
Quite a few years past I had bone spurs removed from my right shoulder.  Then, just recently I dislocated and separated (didn't know they were different injuries 'til then) my right shoulder.  In both instances I resorted to Nuance's Dragon Naturally Speaking for computer stuff.

Oddly enough, the most difficult thing for me was showering.  Resolved that with a back scrubber that had a plastic mesh head and liquid soap  ;) ... but never did come up with a decent toweling process  :(.

I baked a lot, so I used a bread guide and serrated knife for slicing.  Don't have such at the moment, but you can find at most anyplace that sells cooking supplies.  Often the bread guide comes as part of a single-loaf bread box.  (Actually, if you happen to have a miter box, that'll work, too, as long as it is cleaned up.)

My condition(s) allowed me to use my right hand for marginal pressure, so cutting food on a plate at mealtime just required me to learn to use a knife left handed - never did get very good with spoons, though  :).  However, before I could stand even marginal pressure on my right, I used standard kitchen shears for meats, baked potatoes, anything that might need cutting - looked a bit funny, but it worked  :P.

Used a boot hook to pull on pants.  At the time of the first surgery, was wearing so-called cowboy boots, so the boot hook did double duty.  For the most recent injury, wearing Merrells - slip ons - so a ShoeDini (As Seen On TV!) worked for the Merrells ... but a regular shoe horn nailed to a stick would work 'bout as well, methinks.

Shirts were a bit of a problem, but gravity would drag a standard/business shirt down my left arm, then I'd maneuver the other side/sleeve around my right shoulder and secure with safety pins - the pins took a bit of practice, I'm not that dexterous with my left hand.

Socks were a pain, but if you can find a medical supply house - the kind that sell crutches, canes, walkers, wheel chairs, and the like - they'll have several variants of sock pullers.

Using the restroom was a bit of a trial, but I just made certain that it never happened when I was away from home.

Driving was not a difficulty, but getting the vehicle started was ... really difficult  :-\.  Seems car builders assume - at least in the US - that everyone has a functional right arm/hand.

A lot of this could be obviated if you have an SO (Significant Other) or very close - in all meanings of the word - friend.  In both cases, I had neither.

Only other item of significance I can recall at the moment was sleeping - I'd roll over on the injury and waken in pain  :'(.

Hope some of this helps, as you're in it for the long haul.  You'll be aghast at how week your arm will become in a relatively short period, and dismayed at how long it'll take to get strength and dexterity back.  In aid of that last, I'd suggest you start squeezing a ball - tennis ball, if nothing else - as soon as you can do so w/o stress - it'll make a great difference in recovery once the cast comes off.

Best of luck and best of healing  :up:.

40hz:
+1 w/ Barney on Dragon Naturally Speaking. I've been using it for several years now and haven't regretted it once. :)

Hope you get feeling better soon. :Thmbsup:

mouser:
Sorry to hear about your injury joiwind -- here's hoping they rebuild you even stronger.  :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version