ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

"Half of our users block ads. Now what?"

<< < (5/8) > >>

Renegade:
It's actually not different on the internet.  TV is having a hard time with DVRs and such that effectively are Ad-Blockers.  Adapt or die.
-wraith808 (March 11, 2013, 12:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Or do the shameless product placements and dialog plugs that you see on NCIS, CSI, etc. etc. etc.

Carol Haynes:
It's actually not different on the internet.  TV is having a hard time with DVRs and such that effectively are Ad-Blockers.  Adapt or die.
-wraith808 (March 11, 2013, 12:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Or do the shameless product placements and dialog plugs that you see on NCIS, CSI, etc. etc. etc.
-Renegade (March 11, 2013, 01:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Quite if you believe Hollywood everything from medical research to national defence is run on iMacs!

40hz:
2. Re: The "entitlement" claim, most of TV was offered for free via ad revenue for decades, so it's not quite fair to suddenly decide that "it's different on the internet" and that a former TV viewer, now an online article viewer, suddenly became "entitled".
-TaoPhoenix (March 10, 2013, 11:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Also, lets not forget that virtually all the underlying technology running the web was paid for with US tax dollars. Something that was repeatedly emphasized by just about everybody during those early years when the general public was first granted access to the Internet. Likely it was intended as a bit of "meme engineering" to prevent some business from trying to do a grab on it and become the next Bell Telephone monopoly; and also to forestall the US government from having a change of heart and revoking public access.

So if John Q. Public suddenly got it in his head that he "owned" the web and that it was "already paid for"...well...that's hardly unexpected. That's what he was told. Repeatedly.

Why that idea became, by extrapolation, an assumption that everything carried on the web (i.e music, movies, content) must also be free is a question that has been widely discussed and argued. So it's hardly worth going off on a tangent to repeat any of it here. Suffice to say, everybody has their own favorite theory on why this 'entitlement' mindset emerged.
 ;D

Fred Nerd:
My opinion on this is that on one hand I like things being free especially for younger people etc. BUT on the other hand I would much rather pay then see ads.
Part of the my plan would be copy protection that wouldn't be TOO hard to get around so that kids could use their brains and pirate what they need, BUT you'd be reminded you should pay for it. Like the DC way of paying for it or being reminded to renew your licence.
Remember back in the 'good old days' of Windows 98? Kids who grew up then learnt to use lateral thinking to get things you couldn't afford, with plenty of viruses to catch you out AND then to learn how to fix it when you downloaded photoshop_crack_win.exe ;)
Was really good fun, and you learned to think. Still didn't get anything productive done, but it was fun.

Anyway, I use an ad blocker since I hate ads so much that if I see an ad I'll boycott the company for annoying me. Unless it's an 'infomercial'. If I'm looking at a site to buy building products, they can try to tell me that I should own the latest nail gun, that makes sense.

But basically, I'm happy for a lot of blogs and bloggers to go broke. They don't work as hard as I do, and seem to know less as well. Anyone I like can ask for donations or premium services and I'll pay.  
Same with Android apps, less ad supported only, more crippleware with a pay option. More prestige in owning a phone with everything paid for.

Renegade:
Quite if you believe Hollywood everything from medical research to national defence is run on iMacs!
-Carol Haynes (March 11, 2013, 04:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Almost, but not quite.

NCIS is a Microsoft show. I remember one episode where the boss and the computer geek are talking and one says something like, "Oh, I just stored it all securely on my SkyDrive blah blah blah *chokes on MS c*** in mouth*."

I just about wanted to vomit.

Opinion about TVAnyone that thinks that TV is anything more than entertaining propaganda that you pay for is a blithering idiot.

The great feat in Hollywood is that they have turned entertainment into propaganda, and people swallow it hook, line and sinker and refuse to believe that it is propaganda.

Anyone interested can look up LRPS (long range penetration strain). It's not a new idea and has been around for decades.

Any further comment belongs in the Basement with a few beer and a sense of humour! :D

Oh, and there are other MS shows out there as well. Apple just understands propaganda better and does a better job of it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version