ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

"Half of our users block ads. Now what?"

<< < (3/8) > >>

Cloq:
My sentiments about "ads":

Quote from reddit user:
-----
I'm not him but I'll be happy to list why its f*cked up..1.- A VERY large portion of the viruses out there end up through infected ads, block ads? Virus infections drop off the map. 2.- Destructoid does NOT sere the ads, like everybody else that pass it off to third parties. See #1 as to why that is a problem, it lets you pass the buck and you end up giving your users infections. 3.- The advertisers have gone from simple txt and jpgs to shitting out ads that take over the sound and maxes out the volume, its like inviting someone into your home and on the second or third visit they scream in your face..would you invite them back? 4.- They have taken ad revenues to the extreme, an article that would be 3 paragraphs is now shit all over a dozen pages...why should I care about you when you are trying to milk me for more revenue while making things worse for me?

I'll be happy to unblock a site if they ask nicely...IF they ONLY use txt ads, no risky Flash or Java ads, NO taking over my speakers, NO blasting commercials..they do that? I have NO problem with unblocking. The problem is all these sites are frankly lazy bastards that just want to make money without having to do the work so they just sell their ad space to any company that offers them cash without giving a f*ck if its ads are rude, if they assault our senses, hell they don't even seem to give a f*ck if they end up serving malware to their users, just as long as they get paid. Well I have to clean up their messes so f*ck them, I install adblock as SOP to ALL PCs that come through my door.
-----

Carol Haynes:
Strikes me that the biggest problem is that legitimate sites advertising don't really have control over what is advertised or the advertisments.

I would be a lot less annoyed (and paranoid) about website advertising if site admins posted plain graphics with simple links which they inspect and monitor. They should also take full responsibility for any malware pushed through their ads - which would force them to only deal with reputable sellers and businesses.

Again it seems to me that a good site using advertising would negotiate commission on sales and make the sales their own on products they actually recommend. Instead of that you get endless links to registry cleaners and 'speed up your computer' ads which cause no end of trouble - and that's before you even get started on all the viruses and malware that get shoved in drive by attacks!

Renegade:
It costs something in time and money to do most things worth doing. And people will either be willing to support it - or they won't. If they won't, the two remaining choices are to abandon the endeavor; or, scale it back and become a "patron of the art" by funding it yourself.

Trying to straddle the middle and somehow get somebody else to pay for it through indirect means doesn't work very well. It mostly just pisses off the people you're trying to serve. So do one or the other. Either get it to pay for itself - or pay for it yourself.
-40hz (March 10, 2013, 11:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds like you're trying to point out the sense of entitlement from publishers. "Since I made this, I must be paid for it whether you like it or not." It works both ways there.

40hz:
Sounds like you're trying to point out the sense of entitlement from publishers. "Since I made this, I must be paid for it whether you like it or not." It works both ways there.
-Renegade (March 10, 2013, 06:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry Ren, but that's not what I'm saying at all.  :nono2:

I'm putting the burden on the 'publishers' to produce something worth buying or quit the field. Just like I'm suggesting the 'consumers' pay for what they use if there's a price tag attached and if they really want it - or do without.

No justification of 'entitlement' in what I'm saying for either side.

I don't believe in taking money for nothing any more than I believe in appropriating something for nothing unless it's freely given as a gift.

I operate within a fairly simple moral framework. It's not too fancy. But it works for me. Beyond that I make no representations or warranties. YMMV. :P ;D

Renegade:
-Renegade (March 10, 2013, 06:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry Ren, but that's not what I'm saying at all.  :nono2:
-40hz (March 10, 2013, 07:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Got it. Didn't mean to put words in your mouth. Guess I was just reading into it what wasn't there.

FWIW, I still think that you're pretty much bang on there. I've always thought ads as a revenue source were pretty lame.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version