ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google Glasses BANNED!

<< < (5/7) > >>

SeraphimLabs:
To take the devil's advocate stance here- so we're banning things based on what others *might* do with them?  That seems a bit draconian...
-wraith808 (March 10, 2013, 08:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's a privately owned establishment. They are completely within their rights to set what they will and will not allow people to do on their property.

And really it isn't like bans on recording equipment are new. A lot of facilities in nearly every industry also have partial bans on recording equipment, done in order to protect trade secret information.

What will probably happen is the google glass will need to have a provision where a packet can be broadcast on wifi that when recieved disables the device's recording capabilites. Make it similar to the magic packet wakeup that has been present in devices for the better part of a decade- simply a broadcast packet on a designated channel designed to restrict the devices.

Then facilities that want to disallow recording only have to purchase a small transmitter to provide the required disabling signal.

wraith808:
I wasn't talking that specifically but the other comments, but going even into that specific case- what happens when it gets into being used to account for handicaps... you're going to have a hard time with that argument.

40hz:
It's a privately owned establishment. They are completely within their rights to set what they will and will not allow people to do on their property.
-SeraphimLabs (March 11, 2013, 12:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Precisely.

Then facilities that want to disallow recording only have to purchase a small transmitter to provide the required disabling signal.
-SeraphimLabs (March 11, 2013, 12:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's a little dicier a proposition if the disabling mechanism isn't built into the device itself. And I can't see Google willingly doing that without legislation forcing it to do so.

But that then becomes a slippery slope since the same technology also could be used to also disable ordinary cameras, cellphones - and even news cameras.

Note: RF jamming is generally illegal in the USA. Where allowed, it requires a special permit due to the risk of a jamming signal interfering with legitimate permitted communications, GPS devices, and public safety communications such as fire and police radios.

Tinman57:
To take the devil's advocate stance here- so we're banning things based on what others *might* do with them?  That seems a bit draconian...-wraith808 (March 10, 2013, 08:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

You mean like banning guns and accessories?

Tinman57:
  Video glasses have been around for a few years now, along with video pens and other devices, but none of these have been banned.  Not to mention that cell phones can take pictures and video's, and they're allowed in all these places.  I think it's just their way of getting 15 minutes of fame.  More like 15 minutes of shame in my book.  Either way, I for one wouldn't bother spending my money in any of their establishments if they want to accuse you of mal-intent just for having an item in your possession.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version