ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google Glasses BANNED!

<< < (2/7) > >>

Renegade:
There are now some concert halls/theatres that block mobile phone signals. I wish they all did!
-Carol Haynes (March 10, 2013, 06:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ah! Gives me an idea! Sell massive Faraday cages~! ;D I'm expecting that private sales will be flat zero, but government sales would be lucrative~! :P

40hz:
On a more positive note, with a little additional tech, it could make things considerably more difficult for police who are behaving badly.

What if a web-enabled version of "The Wire" (that most beloved gadget of police action movies - right up there with the HK MP5K) found it's way into the hands of the average Jill or Joe out on the street?

Hard to arrest people for videoing some questionable "enforcement actions" when everybody in the crowd is wearing a set of goggles that can do so. How would you know which of the hundreds is videoing? And how would you stop them if they were? It's pointless to confiscate if the video feed is being sent up to the net in realtime. I suppose you could subpoena their ISP and get access to the person's online storage accounts. But if they've been set up to auto-push to the torrents, well...it's gonna be a bear to censor people or enforce gag orders.

With police perjury on the rise (especially in countries where they still bother to hold trials) it could become a valuable asset in the struggle to preserve constitutional freedoms.

8)

Renegade:
On a more positive note, with a little additional tech, it could make things considerably more difficult for police who are behaving badly.

What if a web-enabled version of "The Wire" (that most beloved gadget of police action movies - right up there with the HK MP5K) found it's way into the hands of the average Jill or Joe out on the street?

Hard to arrest people for videoing some questionable "enforcement actions" when everybody in the crowd is wearing a set of goggles that can do so. How would you know which of the hundreds is videoing? And how would you stop them if they were? It's pointless to confiscate if the video feed is being sent up to the net in realtime. I suppose you could subpoena their ISP and get access to the person's online storage accounts. But if they've been set up to auto-push to the torrents, well...it's gonna be a bear to censor people or enforce gag orders.

With police perjury on the rise (especially in countries where they still bother to hold trials) it could become a valuable asset in the struggle to preserve constitutional freedoms.

8)
-40hz (March 10, 2013, 07:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

That could work very well. Well, that is if it weren't for some animals being more equal than others. ;)

Edvard:
I totally agree with the proprietor's cultural view there.  The 5-Point's motto is "Alcoholics serving alcoholics since 1929", and they are one of the best joints to grab an old-fashion plate of eggs and browns on a Tuesday morning when you can smell the rain is going to clear in a half hour or so.  That and they really do kick out scumbags, I've seen it. 
Good on them.  No complaints here.  :Thmbsup:

wraith808:
To take the devil's advocate stance here- so we're banning things based on what others *might* do with them?  That seems a bit draconian...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version