ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google Glasses BANNED!

(1/7) > >>

Renegade:
This is semi-comical and semi-serious:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57573387-93/seattle-dive-bar-becomes-first-to-ban-google-glass/

Google Glass won't be available to consumers for months, but there's at least one Seattle bar where the eyewear will not be welcome.

The 5 Point, a self-described dive bar in Seattle's Belltown neighborhood, posted a notice to its Facebook page this week telling Glass Explorers looking to grab a pint that they will need to remove their $1,500 spectacles. The story was noted today on GeekWire.

"For the record, The 5 Point is the first Seattle business to ban in advance Google Glasses," the post reads. "And ass kickings will be encouraged for violators."

"I'm a thought leader," deadpanned Dave Meinert, the bar's owner, in an interview on Seattle's KIRO-FM. "First you have to understand the culture of the 5 Point, which is a sometimes seedy, maybe notorious place. People want to go there and be not known...and definitely don't want to be secretly filmed or videotaped and immediately put on the Internet."

Meinert admitted he was having a bit of fun: "Part of this is a joke, to be funny on Facebook, and get reaction."
--- End quote ---

More at the link.

But, he does have a point.

It will be interesting to see if there's any kind of fallout or if "recording-free" zones start popping up.

mitzevo:
+1 for The 5 point. Most places don't allow photo/video'ing (shopping venues, libraries, etc. etc.). If Google Glasses can take video or photos, does that make them exempt from such places? Ofcourse not. BAN! Or maybe some smart company will introduce a product or service that can block the video/recording capabilites.

Renegade:
Or maybe some smart company will introduce a product or service that can block the video/recording capabilites.
-mitzevo (March 10, 2013, 05:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, you can buy glasses & hats that have IR lights that block recording and only show white spots...

However, I think I'd rather just have a large EMP. Imagine the fun you could have at the airport with one of those! :P ;D

40hz:
I pity the hipster walking down a city street with a pair of those on when he walks past a paranoid crazy who thinks they're being videoed. :tellme:

Carol Haynes:
There are now some concert halls/theatres that block mobile phone signals. I wish they all did!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version