ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Amazon creepy ...

<< < (3/7) > >>

f0dder:
I will check Ghostery out and the article you linked. Thanks.-Carol Haynes (March 09, 2013, 12:49 PM)
--- End quote ---
Note that the people behind Ghostery are kinda-involved with advertising, and there's a lot of tinfoil hat flak because of this.

However, Ghostery is better than not using anything of the sort, and as long as you don't join the "GhostRank" (off by default) there shouldn't be any privacy concerns. I like the addon :) (seems to be better in ffox than chrome, btw - no cookie blocking in chrome).

mwb1100:
Did you visit any of the search results from your googling?  I'm by no means particularly knowledgeable in this stuff, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of the sites that you visited (assuming you did) has some sort of affiliation with Amazon and passed your interest in Office 2003 SBE on to them in some fashion.

app103:
Did you visit any of the search results from your googling?  I'm by no means particularly knowledgeable in this stuff, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of the sites that you visited (assuming you did) has some sort of affiliation with Amazon and passed your interest in Office 2003 SBE on to them in some fashion.
-mwb1100 (March 09, 2013, 01:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Or perhaps a result that had a Facebook plugin of some sort active on the page? (comments, like button, etc.)

Facebook and Amazon may be sharing data. If this is the source, Ghostery can block this kind of behavior by blocking social plugins..

f0dder:
Facebook and Amazon may be sharing data. If this is the source, Ghostery can block this kind of behavior by blocking social plugins..-app103 (March 09, 2013, 02:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, and you do want this! Even if you've disabled the facebook app platform and aren't logged in to facebook, any site that has a like button or comment field will track you back to facebook. It's not unreasonable to think that other big sites are doing the same.

4wd:
And possibly install Collusion so you can see who's sharing what with who even though you haven't visited the "other" site.

IainB started a thread on Collusion over here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version