ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Amazon creepy ...

(1/7) > >>

Carol Haynes:
OK I have a customer that needs Office 2003 SBE reinstalling but the disk has gone missing (I extracted the license key from the system that died).

Searched to see if I can find a legitimate ISO to download in Google.

Went Amazon to check on an order - first item on the home page Office 2003 SBE

How did they do that? And how do I stop it.

I know it is something to do with cookies but I didn't think all websites could access all your cookies or Google Search - but does Amazon actually have instant access to my Google seeach history!

mouser:
I don't know the answer to your question but its just another reminder of how pervasively inappropriate this situation is that we find ourselves in with Google.

Google wants to track everything you search for (and write about in your emails) so that it can serve up advertisements based on what you type, on ads on every page on the internet.

That means that *every* site you visit can get a good idea of your interests by examining the ads that google wants to display on their page -- even if they don't actually care about showing you the ads themselves.

Renegade:
Welcome to BIG DATA~! :D

All these companies sell data to everyone, and they do it really fast. I've noticed similar situations numerous times.

To stop it or slow it down, make sure that you are not logged into anything and turn off cookies.

Did you see that Rand video that I'd posted a while back? Spooky stuff.

Carol Haynes:
It wasn't an ad - it was Amazon promoting a product (which they don't even sell) based on something they knew I was looking for. The scary thing is Amazon knew about this immediately after I did a google search.

Renegade:
It wasn't an ad - it was Amazon promoting a product (which they don't even sell) based on something they knew I was looking for. The scary thing is Amazon knew about this immediately after I did a google search.
-Carol Haynes (March 09, 2013, 06:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

Exactly. Big Data. What they can do is simply spooky. It's not a coincidence. They don't need to serve ads when you're already in the store.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version