ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I am so very very sick of copyright issues.

<< < (4/4)

superboyac:
I think a lot of this IP protectionism is indicative of a loss of confidence on the part of many. The only people that try (in my experience) to wring every last nickel out of everything they come up with are the people who fear their creativity is a finite resource. That they only have so much originality in them - and once it's gone, it's gone.

I've had more of my own original work (ideas, words, music) than I can shake a stick at "appropriated" by others over the years. Does it ever bother me? Maybe a little every so often. (Mostly when I'm feeling very tired or am unusually short on sleep.) But so what? I'm a clever chap who doesn't mind working. Nor do I ever plan on retiring. I'll just write new stuff. I'm never one to be at a loss for ideas - or come up short on creativity.

So pilfer away AFAIC. There's plenty more where that came from. 8)
-40hz (March 13, 2013, 09:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
Good point. That's how I feel about it also.  I also feel that a lot of creative people, either due to ignorance or intentional lying, are not aware of how they copy others for their own creativity.  It's a messy argument, and definitely not legally sound in any way, but in my mind it's impossible to create something new that is not built upon the generations of creativity that came before it.  There may be a new twist or a new element, but to argue that you came up with the whole thing is impossible for me to accept.  All my favorite people, those that are called "the geniuses" by most, whenever I study them, I find clear cut examples of who they learned their craft from.  If someone asked me about ANYTHING I've done, i can tell you almost exactly where each element is inspired from.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version