ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

MAFIAA's unintended consequences? - e.g., Pirate Box

<< < (3/3)

Renegade:
I don't see how PirateBox and ThePirateBay on a USB stick will help. If you're still using Torrents for filesharing, you can still be tracked by other peers, can't you?

I mean, sure it will help prevent the files from going offline due to websites being taken down, but it doesn't seem to provide any anonymity/protection from being identified. :huh:
-Deozaan (March 12, 2012, 08:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

I suppose that leaves TOR and/or VPNs and/or anonymous proxies.

mwb1100:
I don't see how PirateBox and ThePirateBay on a USB stick will help. If you're still using Torrents for filesharing, you can still be tracked by other peers, can't you?

I mean, sure it will help prevent the files from going offline due to websites being taken down, but it doesn't seem to provide any anonymity/protection from being identified. :huh:
-Deozaan (March 12, 2012, 08:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

As I understand it, these pirate boxes would be offline and accessible only using the box's WiFi signal.  The box itself keeps no logs (though I suppose a honeypot box set up by some some enforcement agency could do so, but I think that all they could get from a properly configured client is the MAC address).

Since the box isn't connected to the Internet at-large, it would be useful to only people in the vicinity of the box.  But I could see this still being useful in situations like school dormitories or workplaces where there's a concentration of people who might be interested in sharing files.

Since the box isn't on the official network, official admins might never realize it's there...

Deozaan:
Thanks for explaining it, mwb1100. It makes a lot more sense to me now. :Thmbsup:

IainB:
You can read all about making your own PirateBox here:

* PirateBox DIY by David Darts
* PirateBox Forum
But if you want it ready-rolled, then there is this superb 1Tb wifi device by Seagate: Wireless Plus    :Thmbsup:
There's good info at the link, and a great little video about it.
The data sheet is Seagate Wireless Plus Data Sheet (461 KB ) (should open in Google Viewer, if Google haven't already killed that service by the time you go to look at the document).    ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version