ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

SimCity - EA shows us all how to ruin a landmark game with DRM.

<< < (5/7) > >>

wraith808:
Steam is actually quite decent. I thoroughly enjoy it.
-Josh (March 09, 2013, 09:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

This.  But to each his own, I guess.  No matter how much I don't like the way that some companies treat their customers, I've grown to the point that the more effective way to protest/combat it is to choose not to play rather than play someone's work for free.  That's a personal decision... but one I feel better about.

40hz:
Just thinking: as long as there's GoG.com I never really need to be bothered by any of this nonsense.  Hmm...wonder what they have on sale this weekend?
 ;)

wraith808:
As much as I love Gog... their lineup of games is somewhat limited. :)  As a gamer, I choose to deal with Steam on some terms... i.e. if a game has other DRM on steam, I won't use it.  And steam has somewhat of an upside to me.  I no longer have a huge collection of boxes to things that I will never install again, and I can delete stuff from my HD without worrying about where it is. :)

Deozaan:
Two days ago, RPS published an article in which a Maxis insider revealed to us that SimCity does not, in fact, require the servers to run its non-regional game. Maxis reps had repeatedly insisted to the press that the game had to be online as it ran local computations on their own servers – a feature our source told us doesn’t exist at all. Extraordinarily, we’ve still yet to receive a statement from Maxis on the matter. Nor indeed have any of the rest of the games media who contacted EA for comments at the time of our story.

And now, if any further proof were needed, a modder has hacked the game to run entirely offline, and even play outside of the game’s ridiculously small borders.

Here it is:

-http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/14/modder-runs-simcity-offline-maxis-remains-silent/
--- End quote ---

Read more at Rock Paper Shotgun.

wraith808:
They’re peddlers and they’re meddlers
They buy and they sell
They destroyed your SimCity
They’ll destroy you as well

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page