ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Judge skeptical of "torrent chaser" law firm's antics. Jail time threatened.

<< < (5/6) > >>

40hz:
Well this weird thing called "sanity" would seem to say that, but this disturbing world of IP seems to involve strange phone calls on the "turquoise line" that suddenly makes impossible things happen.
-TaoPhoenix (March 13, 2013, 05:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe. But in this particular case, the judge isn't getting into IP or copyright issues at all. He's addressing issues of fraud in presenting evidence, making false representations of fact, violation of rules of discovery, contempt of court, and breach of ethics and violations of law on the part of licensed attorneys.

To add insult to injury, those in the crosshairs have not complied with a direct order to appear at their own show cause hearing (!!!); have previously argued for judge Wright's lack of jurisdiction in the matter; and previously moved to have the judge removed from the case because they basically didn't like him, nor trust him to see things their way.

So let's see...they:

Broke the law
 Defied a federal court
 Insulted a federal district judge
 Disobeyed an order to appear
 Actively hampered an investigation into their practices and conduct
 Continue to obstruct, obfuscate, and delay at every opportunity
 Filed motions that were so frivolous as to border on contempt

It just goes on and on...

No phone call in the world is going to get them off the hook on any of that. And IP issues don't even enter into consideration. This is all about judicial procedure and basic trial law. Which applies no matter what the case is about. And which is something that has a huge amount of precedence and written law behind it - so it's not like any of it is up for discussion. That's what attorneys supposedly go to law school to learn about in order to become attorneys. Thats also pretty much what the Bar Exam tests them on before admitting them to practice law. So they can't even feign ignorance. They know the rules - even if those same rules often get pushed to limit without penalty since most judges don't have the time to really get down on them like Otis Wright has.

Nah. They're toast. I'm guessing they'll be lucky to get off with a hefty fine and either suspension or disbarment.

But I think it's actually going to come down harder than that. I think a few people are gonna be seeing some "free room and board" before this one is finished. The abuses were too egregious. And there's been too much publicity. Everybody is watching this case. And Judge Wright is already on record as stating that an example may need to be made in order to discourage others from going down the same road Prenda Law thought it could go without consequence.

Nope. These guys are toast. Burnt toast.

kyrathaba:
Nah. They're toast. I'm guessing they'll be lucky to get off with a hefty fine and either suspension or disbarment.

But I think it's actually going to come down harder than that. I think a few people are gonna be seeing some "free room and board" before this one is finished. The abuses were too egregious. And there's been too much publicity. Everybody is watching this case. And Judge Wright is already on record as stating that an example may need to be made in order to discourage others from going down the same road Prenda Law thought it could go without consequence.

Nope. These guys are toast. Burnt toast.
--- End quote ---

And an example needs to be set, and this case has so caught the public and the judicial communities' eyes that it must be used to set that example: this shit will not be tolerated!

f0dder:
Judge Wright took the bench, grim and stentorian and bow-tied, and immediately commenced to take absolutely no shit from anybody.
--- End quote ---
-40hz (March 12, 2013, 11:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

40hz:
@f0dder - ROFLMAO! If we're ever in a bar together I'm buying your drinks all night for finding and posting that picture. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

TaoPhoenix:
Heh yes, my post was rather bitter.  I meant that somehow when IP shows up as a topic, "basic elemements of law" seem to wander off.

So let's see...they:

Broke the law
 Defied a federal court
 Insulted a federal district judge
 Disobeyed an order to appear
 Actively hampered an investigation into their practices and conduct
 Continue to obstruct, obfuscate, and delay at every opportunity
 Filed motions that were so frivolous as to border on contempt

It just goes on and on...
-40hz (March 13, 2013, 01:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
(Snark)
So that means they haven't broken enough rules. The solution is to break more rules! Then like a Klein Bottle 42 wrongs make a right, and everything will be okay again!

Take a look at their Predecessor, Righthaven.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Righthaven
Per the Wiki, *it only took $200,000 to bankrupt a "law firm"*, in something like 5 counter lawsuits. Really?! Sounds like "Hiding Assets" to me. The principal walked away (or else no one updated the wiki, I don't feel like digging deep on that one, but I'd think a hefty jail term would have made the wiki.)

So, these guys at Prenda. That's why I smell platypus $hit. Of course they know what the rules of law are, that's like the first year of law school. So they have an endgame, and THAT's what we need this judge to really get to the bottom of.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version