ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Building a Desktop

<< < (4/6) > >>

40hz:
I'd still look at wired, and power over ethernet.  Both of those have served me a lot better than wireless.
-wraith808 (March 06, 2013, 04:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1 on both points. My mantra has always been: wired if you can, wireless if you must. Especially if it's a non-mobie workstation. And especially now that ethernet over power wiring (or 'powerline networking') is both workable and affordable.

----------------

@wraith - PoE? I think you meant EoP this time didn't you? :P

----------------

@Miz - re: Graphics cards - I sometimes think it's a waste to worry too much about future-proofing your GPU since the technology evolves so rapidly that no matter what you buy today, you'll wish you had the money to get something else a year from now.

So since the GPU is one of the easiest things to swap out, I'm more inclined to re-alocate any money I find for a new build to the things that can't be most easily changed, such as the CPU or mobo. After that I go for what gives me the most bang-for-the-buck overall performance-wise; or, that adds additional capabilities - like more easily supporting multiple VMs. That (to me) means maxing out the RAM first, and then going for a better GPU.

But I'm also not a heavy duty gamer. I like games, but I don't need this week's bleeding-edge masterpiece to have fun. And most of what I do enjoy isn't the latest or the greatest by a long shot. So your priorities and expectations may be different than mine. And rightly so if they are...
 :)

Carol Haynes:
I too would prefer gigabit ethernet to wifi -esp. for a desktop. If you are too far from the router or is too inconvenient you can get gigabit powerline networking now, but to be honest 200mbps or 500mps are more than enough for most purposes.

kyrathaba:
+1 for connecting to your router via ethernet cable. When I switched out my wifi-dongle and plugged in directly, my speed went from a variable 30-54 Mbps to a stable 100 Mbps (using a Linksys RangePlus WRT-110 router).

wraith808:
@wraith - PoE? I think you meant EoP this time didn't you?
-40hz (March 06, 2013, 05:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Whoops.  Yes.  :-[

@Miz - re: Graphics cards - I sometimes think it's a waste to worry too much about future-proofing your GPU since the technology evolves so rapidly that no matter what you buy today, you'll wish you had the money to get something else a year from now.

So since the GPU is one of the easiest things to swap out, I'm more inclined to re-alocate any money I find for a new build to the things that can't be most easily changed, such as the CPU or mobo. After that I go for what gives me the most bang-for-the-buck overall performance-wise; or, that adds additional capabilities - like more easily supporting multiple VMs. That (to me) means maxing out the RAM first, and then going for a better GPU.

But I'm also not a heavy duty gamer. I like games, but I don't need this week's bleeding-edge masterpiece to have fun. And most of what I do enjoy isn't the latest or the greatest by a long shot. So your priorities and expectations may be different than mine. And rightly so if they are...
-40hz (March 06, 2013, 05:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

If I hadn't just gone through this (and wasn't also a heavy duty gamer), then I'd probably agree with you.  But having done it, I can say that as he already has a pretty good MB and CPU, the biggest bang for his buck is going to be taking that $100 step.

tomos:
Do those led fans flicker?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version