ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Building a Desktop

<< < (3/6) > >>

kyrathaba:
...Buy a wireless N card for $16 or $25 or whatever, and then in 5 years or so when you buy an AC router, buy a new Wireless AC card for about the same price...the i7 will cost you about $100 extra, but it will allow you to do some fun things with virtual machines.
--- End quote ---

+1.

wraith808:
What do you usually use the machine for?  Just wondering before I chime in. :)

Mizraim:
I decided to go with Carol's case (thank you!) after reading about the design of the case I had originally picked out, and the comments by Deozaan. :Thmbsup: After looking at the comparison on Newegg of both the i5-3770k and i7-3770k, it's really worth the $100 to upgrade, rather than spend $300 later to upgrade, so I'll most likely do that. Right now I'm looking at putting in 16GB RAM, 2 8GB sticks, with the possibility of upgrading to 32 later.

I intend to build a machine capable of running most of the games that have come out recently 2011-current: Tomb Raider, BattleField 3, Saints Row: The Third, etc. Also, I plan on using it to program in the Unity 3D engine. I think it should be sufficient for that. So, lets hear those thoughts, wraith808.  :)

I also just want to add a big thank you to everyone who has contributed so far. I've taken all of your opinions and suggestions to heart.

~Cheers

Carol Haynes:
It's a nice case (with teeth) and a pleasure to build with. Enjoy!

Treat yourself to as much memory as you can cram in! I think if you shop around you should be able to do better on price than the one you indicated.

What about http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-Desktop-Memory-CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10/dp/B0068ZWZY0

a little saving and you know they are matched.

wraith808:
That case is a good choice- I went with the Storm Scout, and I haven't regretted it.  I'd prefer that one, but I think the differences between the two are a personal choice.

If you want to be able to run everything for a while, I'd recommend upgrading from the HD7770.  It's a solid choice, but it's the bare minimum with the latest architecture (a couple of good reviews here and here).  I'd recommend spending the extra if you can and going with the 7870 (comparison).  I speak from experience, because I was in the same boat a couple of years ago with a $150 range card vs a $250 range card.  I'm still running it, but I'm finding it just adequate after 2 years (my cards and comparisons)

The extra $100 would have pushed my rig up a bit in price.  But now I wonder if I'd be more satisfied now with that expenditure earlier.

Moving on, I totally agree on the wireless with everyone else.  I had the same concerns- and I'd give you a bit from what I learned there also; unless your computer is far away from your router, I'd look at wired.  even if it is far away, I'd still look at wired, and power over ethernet.  Both of those have served me a lot better than wireless.

The power supply and memory- I think Carol has that covered, and I'd totally agree with her assessments personally.  And her last statements on price are right on, also.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version