ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Aaron Seigo on Canonical's recent memory lapses and new corporate vision

<< < (2/2)

40hz:
Servers are an easier matter IMHO. Two words: CentOS or BSD. End of script.
-40hz (March 05, 2013, 03:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Aw, come on, no love for a headless 'Debian Stable' box?  ;)

Admittedly, mine gets minimal usage beyond as a NAS and testbed for some net stuff I get interested in from time to time, but stable and solid, it is.  :Thmbsup:

-Edvard (April 03, 2013, 10:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's ok as a server. (And I have a lot of love for Debian.) But why reinvent the wheel when a distro addressing the requirements for a stable server has already been assembled? If I were ever really that gung-ho about doing my very own server base, I'd probably start with Arch so I knew exactly what was in it. (And just for the record: I ain't that gung-ho!)

For NAS use I prefer to stick with FreeNAS since it just works. Someday I might consider going with OwnCloud once it matures a bit more. (OC is still a little 'squishy' in places AFAIC.)

But that's the beauty of Linux. There's the perfect 'something' out there for everybody who takes the time to look. Just like dog breeds and ice cream. ;D

Edvard:
I've installed OwnCloud on it (part of the afore-mentioned net stuff to play with) and it works, kinda.  Using it as a way to play selections from my music archive stored there is not that convenient; I'd like something like a Grooveshark interface rather than a "pick the file and click play" sort of thing you get with OwnCloud.

*Back On Topic*
I left Canonical back around 9.10 or 10.04 and never looked back.  I saw the direction they were going even then and it didn't look pretty.  Debian treats me right, I think I'll keep her...  :-*

40hz:
*Back On Topic*
I left Canonical back around 9.10 or 10.04 and never looked back.  I saw the direction they were going even then and it didn't look pretty.  Debian treats me right, I think I'll keep her...  :-*
-Edvard (April 04, 2013, 01:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes indeed. 10.04 was when the "smart money" began bailing out en masse in the wake of what Ubu loyalists were calling "rumors" while simultaneously accusing Canonical's critics of "reading too much" into things.

In many respects these apologists were right. Some of the moves by Canonical weren't nearly as bad as they originally seemed. As it turned out, they were significantly worse.

And good ol' Debian still remains a reliable and trusted friend despite some of the distancing and Microsoft kowtowing going on in the Linux world. Especially on the part of a few mature distros that really should know better than to get sucked into playing Redmond's old game. But there you have it. They'll learn their lesson eventually since Microsoft's track record on how they treat their strategic "allies" and business "partners" is none too stellar.

So be it. 8)

ewemoa:
And good ol' Debian still remains a reliable and trusted friend despite some of the distancing and Microsoft kowtowing going on in the Linux world.
-40hz (April 04, 2013, 06:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

The Arch Linux Package signing issue was what significantly increased my appreciation of Debian's clear admirable (TM) intentions.

I found and continue to find Arch really useful and helpful, but after reading up on the aforementioned issue, find it hard to convince myself of using it for longer term server things.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version