ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Yahoo email servers hacked

<< < (3/5) > >>

40hz:
Ohhhh!  The point is that clients are stupid.  That's a statement I can get behind!

...unless I'm the client...:P
-wraith808 (March 05, 2013, 12:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd probably characterize it more as 'inattentive to what's being said,' 'insufficiently focused on the task at hand,' and 'occasionally naive.'

But...yeah...pretty much. :) ;D

Unfortunately, there's a whole industry out there that prefers they remain that way.

Carol Haynes:
Most people that I deal with have not seen a way to setup Windows 8 without using an email address.

On at least one computer I set up I could see no way to avoid using an email address except refusing to connect to the internet when prompted - that way it let you set up a local account - up until then it was insistent that you use a live.com address.

I presume different manufacturers organise the setup process in different ways.

Whatever - the majority of non-techie end users just turn on and follow the instructions. When MS says enter your email address now they do it without questioning and end up with a live.com account whether they ever want to use it or not.

I haven't seen anyone (except me) using Office 2013 (and I am going to uninstall it and put 2010 on) and that defaults to SkyDrive for all saving and loading. Yes you can change it but I come across too many end users who have no idea how to save something other than by clicking Save - they don't even know where the files are stored.

This is a worrying development in all major OSes because they are ripe targets for hackers and over time the picking are going to make it more and more worth it. Unfortunately the one thing that seems to be clear is that the hackers keep showing they have the upper hand!!

wraith808:
Most people that I deal with have not seen a way to setup Windows 8 without using an email address.

On at least one computer I set up I could see no way to avoid using an email address except refusing to connect to the internet when prompted - that way it let you set up a local account - up until then it was insistent that you use a live.com address.

I presume different manufacturers organise the setup process in different ways.

Whatever - the majority of non-techie end users just turn on and follow the instructions. When MS says enter your email address now they do it without questioning and end up with a live.com account whether they ever want to use it or not.

I haven't seen anyone (except me) using Office 2013 (and I am going to uninstall it and put 2010 on) and that defaults to SkyDrive for all saving and loading. Yes you can change it but I come across too many end users who have no idea how to save something other than by clicking Save - they don't even know where the files are stored.

This is a worrying development in all major OSes because they are ripe targets for hackers and over time the picking are going to make it more and more worth it. Unfortunately the one thing that seems to be clear is that the hackers keep showing they have the upper hand!!
-Carol Haynes (March 06, 2013, 04:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's on the main page when you set up your account- it's on the bottom right corner- skip this step.  This was in a plain vanilla installation of Windows 8, so I'm not sure if manufacturer's do something with pre-installed versions.  The one thing that having a live account does is make sure they at least set up a password- most machines don't even have one, so I don't really see the difference?  You can't even do anything with it that would affect the local computer without authenticating.

Tinman57:
  I can't figure out why anyone would use a yahoo or hotmail account anyway, unless they just wanted a throw-away account for some reason.  I've never seen an ISP that didn't already give you anywhere from 5 to 15 email addresses with the internet service.  All you have to do is log on to your account and set up your email address(s).  Then you can use your own spam filters or anti-spam software.  I use MailWasher Pro to wash all the crap from my email account BEFORE I download my emails from my POP3 server.  But, that's just me....
-Tinman57 (March 04, 2013, 08:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Simple a number of ISPs farm out their email to Yahoo to deal with. BT (the largest telco in the UK) does this for domestic customers. The email address is [email protected] or similar (there are variations on the domain) but at the end of the day it is a yahoo account.

Its exactly the same as organisations contracting their email to Google - a friend of mine has a school email address, she goes to the school website to login to webmail and although there is some customisation of the colour scheme and layout you can see instantly that it is a gmail account.

It's only going to get worse as consumers are pushed to cloud services - hell if you buy a Windows 8 machine most people seem to think that HAVE to sign up for a Windows Live (aka hotmail) account and have their machine permanently linked to Microsoft's servers.

What is really worrying with all these systems is the increase in successful hacking - I you use something like hotmail as your account for Windows 8 and end up syncing personal stuff to the cloud and hacking on that server won't just allow the spread of spam but also the theft of personal information. Savvy computer users can easily avoid this but the vast majority of people have absolutely no clue what is going on! -Carol Haynes (March 05, 2013, 02:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have learned something new today!  Geeze, that really does suck.  Every ISP I've ever done business with has always had their own POP3 servers.  I stray away from the likes of Yahoo and Hotmail, especially since they have the habit of scanning your emails and injecting ads into them.

kyrathaba:
Just in the past few days, I've received multiple emails from my mother-in-law's Yahoo email account that are spam, and that I KNOW she is not manually sending to me. Just more anecdotal evidence...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version