ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why Russell Holly returned his Microsoft Surface Pro - A Cautionary Tale

<< < (4/4)

allen:
Speaking of online purchasing, why not just order his Surface online like a sane person and not have to deal with traveling 30 minutes or an hour to go to a brick & mortar Microsoft store?-Deozaan (March 05, 2013, 11:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

I was wondering this, too... especially for an online journalist. It would have been far more convenient than continually checking to see if a "local" store had stock. He didn't want to order one and be notified when it was in stock, either. If he couldn't walk in, see it on the shelf and grab it himself then he wasn't going to have it. Sounds like the Apple store is the way to go.

mwb1100:
I have no idea how close the nearest one is to where I live.-Deozaan (March 05, 2013, 11:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

It wouldn't matter anyway, it's closed.
-4wd (March 05, 2013, 09:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

For that matter, I have no idea how closed the the nearest one is to where I live.

app103:
I think this might explain the stores, and what happened to them:

40hz:
Guess OSNews is being overly pissy and persnickety on this topic too:

One of the major lacking features in the newest Office: no Metro applications. In fact, the only reason Windows RT has a desktop at all is because the Office team was unable to create Metro applications in time for the release of Windows RT. I often thought this was a classic case of two important divisions within Microsoft not getting along and not being aligned, but now that I have my own Surface RT, I'm starting to realise that there's a far simpler, and thus more likely, explanation: Metro is simply not ready for anything serious - or for anything at all, really.
Whenever the topic of the lack of Metro Office came up on OSNews, I always assumed that the reason we don't yet have Metro versions of Office was because of classic internal struggles between the Office and Windows divisions. It's no secret the two haven't always seen eye to eye, and let's face it, Microsoft has had its shares of new platforms and environments destined to become the future of Windows. None of them ever panned out, so it's natural that the Office division didn't exactly take Metro and WinRT seriously.

I changed my mind on that one a little bit, though. I bought a Surface RT recently, even though I knew full-well Metro applications would be - pardon my French - shit, I never expected it to be as bad as it is. Crashing, slowness, jittery animations, lagged typing - whether it's third party or Microsoft's own applications, it's pretty clear that Metro and WinRT can barely be classified as beta, at best.

Having come to that realisation, I am convinced that at least part of the reason for the lack of Metro Office stems from the sobering fact that WinRT simply isn't up to the task of forming the base of something as complex as Office. I mean, there's a progress bar (!) when copying/pasting in the only Metro Office application (the OneNote preview application).

After a few weeks with my Surface RT, I've come to the conclusion that WinRT is more like the first few Mac OS X releases: slow, unusable, and only suited for the strong-willed. That's why we have no Metro Office yet -
--- End quote ---

hmm...that does sound like the early Mac doesn't it?

but at least it's good know they're working on it, because that means WinRT is getting better as well.

--- End quote ---

...and that sounds like something an early Mac enthusiast would say too! :P ;D

Carol Haynes:
Office 2013 is Metro Office if you run it at full screen - it is styled exactly for Metro and is all the more ugly for it. Trouble is MS couldn't quite figure out how to get it to run in Metro!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version