ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Microsoft may be after-taxed $1 Billion by Denmark

<< < (3/4) > >>

tomos:
Not an area I know anything about, but it seems logical to me that if I sell something in a particular country, that the sale would have to comply with the laws of same country - even if it's been exported. But we dont know why *exactly* (on what grounds) they are claiming the back tax so it's all a bit moot, innit?

Be interesting to see what happens anyway.

rgdot:
Microsoft bought Navision for 10.8 billion DKK, then sold it to Microsoft Ireland for a lot less than that - and substantially less than it's worth. That's tax evasion - and it's illegal.
-f0dder (March 05, 2013, 06:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

It think that would depend on who's tax code you're basing that argument on. Laws vary greatly. There's no universal agreement since each nation so fiercely defends its own sovereignty and niggling 'cultural identity' that any attempt at establishing a uniform set of laws gets torpedoed less than a day after it's proposed.

Doesn't stop the psychopathic megacorps from using all sorts of tricks to try and do it, and they often get away with it due to loopholes. Might make it technically legal, but it doesn't make it morally acceptable.
--- End quote ---

A large part of the ethical conundrum with this is that taxes are assessed by governments and based on laws written by them. And we all know ethical our governments are. To say nothing of the incredibly moral and ethical ways our tax monies often get used.
 :-\

-40hz (March 05, 2013, 07:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

So tempted to make this a basement thread  ;)

f0dder:
It think that would depend on who's tax code you're basing that argument on. Laws vary greatly. There's no universal agreement since each nation so fiercely defends its own sovereignty and niggling 'cultural identity' that any attempt at establishing a uniform set of laws gets torpedoed less than a day after it's proposed.-40hz (March 05, 2013, 07:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
The Danish government is obviously basing the argument on Danish law, since it was Microsoft Denmark who bought the Danish company Navision :-)

Be interesting to see what happens anyway.-tomos (March 05, 2013, 07:33 AM)
--- End quote ---
Probably nothing - just like when the biggest tax scandal was McDonalds, or when it was Coca Cola, or when it was Mærsk, or when it was <insert greedy psychopathic megacorp name here>.

The megacorp in question moans and groans and threatens to move abroad, the politicians shit their pants and shut their mouths, and we're back to psychopathic business as usual.

40hz:
The megacorp in question moans and groans and threatens to move abroad, the politicians shit their pants and shut their mouths, and we're back to psychopathic business as usual.
-f0dder (March 05, 2013, 07:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Bingo!  :Thmbsup: That's the real problem with unchecked population growth. What to do with all the people above and beyond what's needed for a given society to actually function and thrive.

The answer (so far) has been to create jobs and keep them busy. Otherwise they'll have too much time on their hands. And people with too much time on their hands eventually get bored with their own lives and start trying to run other people's. That is a practice known as "going into politics."

And as far as our existing politicos are concerned, those positions have already been adequately filled. By them... ;D

barney:
Perhaps we're mistaking "legal" and "ethical" when we approach these topics. My belief is that they are not the same, but then again, I could be mistaken. Perhaps whatever is passed into law is necessarily ethical?
-Renegade (March 04, 2013, 07:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Legality and ethics have never shared common ground, to the best of my [history] knowledge.  A number of politicos - and corporations! - have tried to make that association, but ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version