ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Microsoft may be after-taxed $1 Billion by Denmark

<< < (2/4) > >>

Tinman57:
  The last time I was in Denmark, back in the mid-80's, the taxes were sky-high, so I can see why MS would try to do this, even though it's unethical even if legal.  The problem Denmark is going to have is going up against a Meg-Corporation that probably has more money than Denmark's gross national product.  Even the U.S. has problems in taking on MS in the U.S. courts.

f0dder:
The last time I was in Denmark, back in the mid-80's, the taxes were sky-high, so I can see why MS would try to do this, even though it's unethical even if legal.-Tinman57 (March 04, 2013, 07:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
1) the megacorps do this no matter how low the taxes are - if they could save even a penny by nasty psychopathic behaviour, they'd do it.
2) the taxes are only sky-high if you look at the absolute number without considering the value we get from it. (Or used to get - libertarian scumbags have been doing a good job of undermining various things and stuffing money in their (friends) pockets for a while).

mahesh2k:
So I can't sell code from one unit of my company in x country to Y country? I thought internal sales are part of the governments policies.

f0dder:
So I can't sell code from one unit of my company in x country to Y country? I thought internal sales are part of the governments policies.-mahesh2k (March 05, 2013, 06:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
Microsoft bought Navision for 10.8 billion DKK, then sold it to Microsoft Ireland for a lot less than that - and substantially less than it's worth. That's tax evasion - and it's illegal.

Doesn't stop the psychopathic megacorps from using all sorts of tricks to try and do it, and they often get away with it due to loopholes. Might make it technically legal, but it doesn't make it morally acceptable.

40hz:
Microsoft bought Navision for 10.8 billion DKK, then sold it to Microsoft Ireland for a lot less than that - and substantially less than it's worth. That's tax evasion - and it's illegal.
-f0dder (March 05, 2013, 06:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

It think that would depend on who's tax code you're basing that argument on. Laws vary greatly. There's no universal agreement since each nation so fiercely defends its own sovereignty and niggling 'cultural identity' that any attempt at establishing a uniform set of laws gets torpedoed less than a day after it's proposed.

Doesn't stop the psychopathic megacorps from using all sorts of tricks to try and do it, and they often get away with it due to loopholes. Might make it technically legal, but it doesn't make it morally acceptable.
--- End quote ---

A large part of the ethical conundrum with this is that taxes are assessed by governments and based on laws written by them. And we all know ethical our governments are. To say nothing of the incredibly moral and ethical ways our tax monies often get used.
 :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version