ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Long Range WiFi WITHOUT line of sight. HELP!!!!

<< < (2/2)

KynloStephen66515:
Oh, I could probably setup a Terminal Computer with PCI based wifi, if that would be better than dongles.
* Stephen66515 shrugs

4wd:
Oh, I could probably setup a Terminal Computer with PCI based wifi, if that would be better than dongles.
* Stephen66515 shrugs-Stephen66515 (March 04, 2013, 05:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you use PCI cards that means you need to run good quality low-loss coax cable between the PCI card output and the antenna at the dish.
If it's any more than a meter in length, the signal loss may start to make a significant impact.
Any length of quality low loss coax won't be cheap either, (compared to a 5m USB lead).

With the dongle, you have no such problem - the signal is received and decoded in the dongle and you send just the normal serial data down the cable, good for up to 5m, (per USB spec).

If you use a WiFi extender at the dish and run the data back over CAT5e, you're probably good for 20-30m before POE voltage drop may be a problem - even then, you could just place the POE injector close to the antenna and continue back to the router/computer in CAT5e for another 20-30m without a problem.

Another idea is if you could get one of the small WiFi hotspot devices to run in repeater mode.  You could then place that at the focal point of the dish, just supply it with power and have it rebroadcast the WiFi signal throughout your place.

40hz:
Lacking line-of-sight or common 'bounce' point, about the only thing you can do to get serious data communications distances is to get an amateur radio license and then set up a packet radio link. At least AFAIK.

Do a google for "Amateur Packet Radio" and "AMPRnet" and have a look at what these super-geeks have been up to. Basically, they're using ham radio frequency bands and technology for data communications. The only challenge is that you'll need a government license (not too difficult to obtain in most places) to legally do any of this.

Alternatively, check out this guy's article here. He claims to get quarter-mile wifi connectivity using a high-power wireless setup using one of these plus a big honking antenna. Can't vouch for it since I've never done anything like that. But I remember enough from my radio amateur days that he's not saying anything that sounds wrong at least.

This sounds like an interesting project btw. 8)

KynloStephen66515:
Honestly, if I could afford it, I would just launch a Comms Satellite and grab signal from that...from ANYWHERE.

For now, I am looking at the info you guys have given, and trying to see what is most viable...I might go up on the roof to see roughly what obstacles I will be dealing with.

40hz:
I might go up on the roof to see roughly what obstacles I will be dealing with.
-Stephen66515 (March 04, 2013, 07:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

The biggest challenge will most likely be not to fall off. :P ;D :Thmbsup:

(Seriously...be careful up there. I almost screwed up on a flat rooftop about a month ago. There are far better ways to get your 15-minutes of fame, and brief mention on the local evening news, than getting yourself killed in a semi-amusing way.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version