ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Long Range WiFi WITHOUT line of sight. HELP!!!!

(1/2) > >>

KynloStephen66515:
OK...First off, I have both a Satellite Dish AND a Parabolic Antenna I could use for this project.

Secondly...I don't know HOW I would use either of those items :P

Thirdly...I cannot simply put either of these on a huge tower, as I don't have planning permission to do so, and don't really want to go through the process of that, for the sake of this.

OK...Now down to the nitty gritty...

I got screwed over by 2 ISPs, and am now refusing to sign-up for another...SO...What I need...Is long range WiFi, without direct line of sight.  There are many buildings in the way, but I guess at roof level, might not be as many obstructions.

The distance would be around 1/4 mile...probably less...

So...Question is...Anybody have ANY clue...if this is possible?

I will be linking with a specific connection...so I don't need something to scan for open networks or anything like that.

joiwind:
Can you set up intermediate relays ?

Ath:
I've seen that done, about 12 years ago, using a set of directional wifi antennas, using the signal-reflection on a large office-building's metalized windowpanes, exactly because line-of-sight wasn't available. The total distance was a few kilometers. They used 803.11b speed (11 MBit/s...) I think :huh:. I wasn't involved in the process, though, so don't have much details.

4wd:
So...Question is...Anybody have ANY clue...if this is possible?

I will be linking with a specific connection...so I don't need something to scan for open networks or anything like that.
-Stephen66515 (March 04, 2013, 12:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes it should be possible.

The WiFi you're trying to access, what is it specifically?

eg. Is it just a friends wireless router, some free wireless community network, etc.

For the former they might need to provide a directional antenna pointing at you, (a cheap USB adapter at the focal point of your sat dish or parabolic), as well as you needing one aligned with it.
If it's the latter then their antenna setup should be that only you'll require the parabolic/dish.

FWIW, if the dish can be placed within 5m of the router/computer then it's easiest to use a USB 802.11n adapter at the focal point, (you can waterproof it by housing in a plastic pill container), and running a 5m USB extension lead, you may be able to extend it a little by using a active USB extension lead.

If the dish has to be mounted further away than 5m then I'd look at a WiFi extender mounted at the focal point using Cat5e cabling back to the router/computer and using POE, (Power Over Ethernet), to power it.

As for what you do with the dish/antenna, there are numerous sites on the net that deal with using them to extend WiFi range, eg.
This guy modifies the LNB at the dishes focal point to insert a USB adapter.
The image in the post below it is from Stan Swan's excellent article about using "spider skimmers" as parabolic antennas.
Instructables
eHow

The main points being:

* Is it an offset dish.
* Where's the focal point, (if the LNB is still attached, this makes it easy).
I'd try with just using a dish at your end first, (because it's the easiest), and seeing if you can get a decent signal.  For that, Netstumbler or inSSIDer is good for pinpointing the best signal as you move the dish around.

KynloStephen66515:
Right, seems I missed a few vital points.

• I cannot setup repeaters (Not without bribing people anyway)
• The WiFi is a family members connection (So I can do wtf I want on that end in terms of equip)
• I can happily run Cat5e + USB 3.0 Dongles wherever needed.

The point of this exercise, is firstly, to save me the hassle and slowness of a mobile broadband network that drops every couple of hours due to no signal.  Secondly, it would be a fun project.

I don't imagine my speeds, once connected to long range wifi, to be all that great...but if I can squeeze 7-10mbps at a constant, that will be fine by me!

The target connection is currently 60mbps, but I will be doubling that (Instant upgrade) for this project.

I have no reflection points (Tall Shiny buildings), everything around here is stone built, and both properties are roughly the same level (sea level) but with larger stone/brick buildings (not huge) in between.

I will get some photos of the equipment I currently have at my disposal, that way, you guys will be able to tell me if it's right, or wrong...cause I honestly have no bloody idea :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version