ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

In Car Gadgets & Doodads

(1/7) > >>

KynloStephen66515:
Some gadgets that are great for modern car ownership:

Gadgets:

• Dash mounted Tablet
    Voice Control is a must here.  Most tablets will allow you to enter "Car Mode" which does just this.  There are several apps on the market that will help here also, but I have no real recommendations there.

• In Car WiFi
    Now, you can splurge on a 3G/4G router, but the price of them is so high, you may as well just buy a phone that can act as a hotspot and use that instead.

• Dash Cams
    I would suggest one on the front, and one behind.  This means you are totally covered if you ever need to make an insurance claim, or you need to report something you have seen.  They also come in bloody handy if, like they do in Russia, you see something funny, and want to upload it to Youtube :P

• Speed Camera Detector
    If you're heavy footed...these are helpful ;)

• GPS
    Fed up of getting lost?  Buy a GPS...Most modern phones have these as default (Androids, iPhones etc)

• DVD/Media Players
    These are for passengers, obviously.  If you can, I would suggest going to a scrap yard, find some headrests for the front seats, then cut holes in them for the screens so they are flush.  This way, you can put headrest covers over them so nobody can see they are there.  Ya know...security and all that.

Doodads:

• Emergency Supplies
    Always handy to have blankets, first aid kits, tool box and such, in the boot of your car.  Also some long lasting food items (Canned food, along with can opener).  You never know when you are going to break down in the middle of nowhere, and may have to wait hours...or if you are in America, Canada, Russia, Australia, or any country where you can drive for 4 days and not see a single sign of life...

• Fuel Jerry Can
    I do NOT recommend that you travel with one of these, with fuel in them.  It is never a good idea.  but having one in the boot is always handy.

• Bluetooth Car Diagnostics
     Fuel efficiency, check engine trouble codes, real time gauges, horsepower and torque, and more can be checked via this...very handy to have.  Also means, if your check engine light pops up, you will know what has gone wrong, and either resolve it yourself, or be able to advise the garage what it is (Possibly saving time and money).  You can pick these up for around £50-60 so they are well worth their money.

• Tyre PSI Checker
    You can pick these up for like £5, and they show you, on a digital readout, what PSI your tyres are at.  I got one of these free at Chester Zoo, because the AA where there with a car sim, and if you could prove you can drive "ecologically" using their sim, they gave you one.  I managed to convince the lady to give me 4 of them and gave the other 3 away to family :P

• Portable Jump Start Kit
    Rather than having Jump leads, why not have the full kit, which will jump start your car if your battery dies!

• Rear Parking Sensors
    Now, I don't mean the type that sense if you are too close to something behind you.  What I mean here, is a little doodad, that sticks to your reverse light, senses when it is on, and politely beeps to tell people you are going backwards.  I don't have one of these myself, because, I go on the basis "If you can't fcuking SEE I am going backwards, why the hell are you walking in the middle of the road"...Although, that being said, I think I might get one, because I just remembered some people are ACTUALLY blind.

Anybody fancy adding to this list?  :D

Renegade:
Since radar detectors are illegal in some places, why not a radar jammer? :P

KynloStephen66515:
-Renegade (February 28, 2013, 08:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

There are legal "loopholes" here.  One of the ways I suggest people could get around this, is to use map info (Most maps plot where all speed cameras are) and input this into sat-navs.  It's by no means perfect, but...I don't see how that could be illegal.  And yes, that doesn't help with random cop patrols.

Tinman57:
-Renegade (February 28, 2013, 08:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

In the U.S., Jammers are outlawed federally.  The law was written saying anything that interferes with traffic radar is against the law.  It's also written that anything that transmits any kind of radar energy must be licensed.
  With this being said, Rocky Mountain Radar sells a "Passive" radar Jammer.  The only reason the law don't come down on them is because their passive jammers actually INCREASES the distance at which a traffic radar can lock on.  The cops love this feature.
  Now with that being said, why in the hell doesn't the U.S. government tag them for ripping off people and false advertising?  Perhaps it's the tax money they make from each sale???

Renegade:
  In the U.S., Jammers are outlawed federally. 
-Tinman57 (February 28, 2013, 08:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

I know. That was just tongue in cheek. But still, it would be cool to have jammers if for no other reason than just to fart with the fuzz. :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version