ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Earth. Overpopulated or not?

<< < (3/4) > >>

allen:
The problem, as always, revoles around the people involved, not the technology or supply.
Is the Earth overpopulated?  Considering the idiots involved, maybe.  If things worked right; no.
-Rover (April 28, 2006, 09:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

As I said before, I do not believe this to be strictly, if at all, a resource issue -- but is there any way to not consider the people involved, since they are the central axis of the issue? Mankind is the very heart of the discussion -- every other factor is connected by a single pintle--mankind.

In order to believe these matters could ever be resolved one would absolutely have to believe in altruism -- which (and this is another discussion altogether) I don't believe exists as it would require a certain selflessness that would transcend even the notion of satisfaction for doing "good things".  At any rate, if one can maintain a belief in altruism they need to take it much further -- as this process would require universal altruism from the bottom to the top of society.  It would essentially require a unified, global commune to truly be effective.  At minimum, it would require significant sacrifice on the part of not just governments, but the industry itself.  It's just not possible -- every time a new pair of legs kicks, the odds surmount.

The current fuel fiasco comes to mind -- after Katrina devastated the South and the oil prices magically started soaring, it comes out of our pockets.  While I'm paying more for gas, the oil companies are making record profits.  They're not taking a hit, here--I am.  When there are significant tragedies or problems at hand, the general machine that is humanity does not reach out to coddle, though it may offer its condolences just before it pounces and takes full advantage.

Carol Haynes:
The current fuel fiasco comes to mind -- after Katrina devastated the South and the oil prices magically started soaring, it comes out of our pockets.  While I'm paying more for gas, the oil companies are making record profits.  They're not taking a hit, here--I am.  When there are significant tragedies or problems at hand, the general machine that is humanity does not reach out to coddle, though it may offer its condolences just before it pounces and takes full advantage.
--- End quote ---

LOL - if you want to see fuel prices head to the UK. Even at current prices in the US UK fuel is still more than twice the price per litre! And then the UK government wonders why UK business struggles to be competitive!

allen:
Indeed!  Free enterprise, the bottom line is the dollar sign -- not global well-being.  People spend more when they're stretched thin, as what little they may have at the end of the month is a luxury and saving seems a pipe dream.  Pressed for cash? Throw more money at the wind, what have you got to lose?

World peace and happiness isn't in the better interest of industry -- and at the end of the day, even the government is at the mercy of the will of industry.

Baseman:
As a certified organic vegetable and nut and fruit grower the problem with vegetables is that by the time they reach the consumer the price has increase by three times the amount therefore people cannot afford to buy the produce and let me say one thing if you think the farmers getting rich forget about it...Example:...I sell cocktail tomatoes to large supermarkets for R3.50 for 350grm ...When you as a customer, go and purchase the same packet of tomatoes you pay R18.. if not more...Remember we got to buy our own packaging,pay for the electricity to run the borehole pumps plus the staff and transport...Do you see me getting rich?...Hell no I cannot even afford to make up a pay packet for myself...The big problem  as I've said is the cost...BUT if everyone became self sufficient and could start a small garden in their back yard and grew veggies enough for their families and did continuations well It could help leviate the problem of poor families from starving or lack of vitimins ect...

allen:
I grew up in the heartland, I know the little farmers aren't getting rich -- I should be more specific -- it's the big industries that are making the money and destroying the "ideal" society. Family owned farms are increasingly rarely profitable -- there won't be room for private farms in a few more generations -- safe for those who -are- self sufficient.  Self-sufficience would be bad for the government/big business -- that would be revenue/tax dollars lost.  Not going to hapen -- just like we won't use a more efficient/cost-effective means of fuel until we can no longer profit from oil. Even then, there'll be enough markup--they'll be making more than they do now, anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version