ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Free Software from Microsoft.

<< < (2/6) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Just to clarify you get 1 license each for:

Expression Web 3
Retail

Expression Studio 4 Web Professional (WebsiteSpark)
Retail

Expression Studio 4 Premium (WebsiteSpark)
Retail

Visual Studio 2010 Professional
Static Activation Key

Visual Studio Team Explorer Everywhere 2010
Static Activation Key

Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Desktop
Static Activation Key

Visual Studio Express 2012 for Web
Static Activation Key

Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows 8
Static Activation Key

Visual Studio Professional 2012
Static Activation Key

Visual Studio Team Foundation Server Express 2012
Static Activation Key

Visual Studio 2010 Professional
Static Activation Key

Windows HPC Server 2008 and Windows Web Server 2008
Multiple Activation

Windows HPC Server 2008 R2 and Windows Web Server 2008 R2
Multiple Activation
--- End quote ---

and 5 keys for

Windows Server 2012 Standard
Retail
--- End quote ---

I find all this slightly bizzare - are they winding up the partner program? If not what is the incentive for designers to sign up for the partner program when they are giving this lot away for free?

40hz:
I find all this slightly bizzare - are they winding up the partner program? If not what is the incentive for designers to sign up for the partner program when they are giving this lot away for free?
-Carol Haynes (February 25, 2013, 03:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

To date, Microsoft hasn't been able to crack the Adobe CS and F/OSS dominance of web development. So I think they're repeating a strategy similar to what they employed to burn Novell when they introduced NT in the server market - i.e. basically give their software away in order to establish a beachhead -  then lower the boom on pricing once the competition has been eliminated.

I think what they may also be doing is expanding the partner program to make it all encompassing.

Microsoft is moving away from standalone software and physical media for most of it's users, preferring them to migrate to its cloud-hosted product offerings. Most of their major corporate customers are already under license subscription/maintenance contracts. And the serious Windows devs are already in MSDN.

So what I think we're we're seeing here is an attempt to corral the hitherto elusive herd of web developers.

From some of what I'm sensing (from this and other things) I get the feeling that the time is coming where the only way to get your hands on non-cloud Microsoft software will be if you are under some sort of partnership agreement with them.

Free Software from Microsoft.

Oh well!...Time will tell. :-\
 8)

app103:
To date, Microsoft hasn't been able to crack the Adobe CS and F/OSS dominance of web development. So I think they're repeating a strategy similar to what they employed to burn Novell when they introduced NT in the server market - i.e. basically give their software away in order to establish a beachhead -  then lower the boom on pricing once the competition has been eliminated.

I think what they may also be doing is expanding the partner program to make it all encompassing.

Microsoft is moving away from standalone software and physical media for most of it's users, preferring them to migrate to its cloud-hosted product offerings. Most of their major corporate customers are already under license subscription/maintenance contracts. And the serious Windows devs are already in MSDN.

So what I think we're we're seeing here is an attempt to corral the hitherto elusive herd of web developers.
-40hz (February 25, 2013, 07:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

They have been trying to do that for some time, with other giveaways of Visual Studio in the past. So far it hasn't been very successful. Part of the problem may be that those that respond to these offers are not really web developers or have no intentions of using the copy of VS that they receive for web development (sticking with LAMP), and only want it for developing desktop software. For an indy developer or hobbyist, taking advantage of these offers is much cheaper than buying or upgrading, and less restrictive than the free Express versions.

f0dder:
For an indy developer or hobbyist, taking advantage of these offers is much cheaper than buying or upgrading, and less restrictive than the free Express versions.-app103 (February 25, 2013, 09:34 AM)
--- End quote ---
Which restrictions are you thinking of? AFAIK there's no restrictions on commercial use of the stuff you build with the express editions, and (at least for the 2012 versions) the stuff that's removed compared to the nonfree editions isn't too bad - you still get a very feature-rich IDE.

hollowlife1987:
As far as I know, only catch is your bound to the license for life, and you have to promote the program among your network of friends / web programmers / designers.

EDIT: I'm sure there are other catches I've forgotten about I'll have to re-read the agreement again to check as I've signed up a couple months ago.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version