ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

More speed/bandwidth from an 802.11n laptop<-->WiFi Router/Modem connection?

<< < (7/13) > >>

IainB:
Now you will want to trade them all in for a the full spec 802.11n kit.
By the way unless you have corporate high speed broadband you won't see any speed differences at all for broadband - just large file transfer across the network.
-Carol Haynes (March 02, 2013, 12:45 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, absolutely! Of course, I had already been checking out the prices for a full spec 802.11n kit with dual band high-speed transmission, USB device support, shared storage, FTP capability, etc. - the objective being to have my own local "cloud" and get max speed data interchange rates between PCs and shared storage on the local/shared network - and barely a wire in sight.
However, being thrifty, pragmatic and something of a minimalist, I have to admit that I don't actually really need all that functionality/speed...but it's funny how your geek "needs" expand when the technology beckons with new possibilities...    :-[
So it's all a "deferred need" for now.

Carol Haynes:
If you want to get maximum speed with minimum wires there are now a number of GigaBit mains-plug networking options. You can still add WiFi to the mix when needed but for static equipment fast mains-plugs and a Gigabit switch will give faster speeds than WiFi.

IainB:
^ Yes, thanks. I had been considering that option for some time, but am not sure that it will necessarily suit my peculiar needs. The technology seems quite effective, by all reports. I shall probably trial it at some stage anyway.

Carol Haynes:
I live in an area where most houses are old and stone built - homeplug networking really works best as WiFi can be patchy at best in some houses. You can even use homeplugs to expand wifi - just connect homeplugs between the router and a room with poor wifi and add another wifi Access point.

Note make sure the homeplug devices you use actually work at the speeds specified. There were some Gigabit compatible homplugs (ie. they talked to access points and routers at Gigabit spec) but the actual ethernet connection into the plug was standard 100mbps!!!

kyrathaba:
By the way unless you have corporate high speed broadband you won't see any speed differences at all for broadband - just large file transfer across the network.
--- End quote ---

^ +1.

It's great if, like me, you like to backup your Music, Vids, and many other forms of data to multiple other computers without the drudgery of physically moving removable media (USB stick, 2.5" external drive, etc.) from one machine to another. But don't expect a huge leap in your download speeds from the internet when you've only got non-corporate-speed broadband...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version