ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

MS Office 2013 Home/Business - non-transferable (1 PC p.person) - Caveat emptor.

<< < (5/6) > >>

Carol Haynes:
On amazon.com:

Product Features
Platform: PC Key Card

* Licensed for one user for install on one PC. Box inculudes one Product Key Card - No Disc
* The latest versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, and Outlook
* Designed to help you create and organize faster with new, time saving features and a clean, modern look
* Save documents in the cloud on SkyDrive and access them away from home
* One time purchase for the life of your PC; non-transferrable
--- End quote ---

See http://www.amazon.com/Office-Home-Business-2013-1User/dp/B009SPWJ98

As I noted above they make this very clear on the microsoft office website if you buy online.

Another little 'nasty' that has slipped through is that the student/academic edition has a 4yr license that expires - never used to! And it is done via Office 365. I suppose a 4yr subscription is fair if you wanted Office 365 but the academic DVD version has disappeared and there doesn't appear to be a key-card equivalent.

See: http://www.amazon.com/University-Academic-Student-Validation-Required/dp/B009VL9YGU

40hz:
@Carol - Wow! Good catch! I didn't even notice that until you called attention to it.

Having been previously accused (due to my remarks about Microsoft's walled garden/app store strategy with Windows Metro) I'm wondering if anybody here still thinks I'm indulging in FUD propagation when it comes to Microsoft? ;D

"The real catch to me being right about all this is
                I'm even more screwed if I am."

barney:
I'm wondering if anybody here still thinks I'm indulging in FUD propagation when it comes to Microsoft?
-40hz (February 14, 2013, 01:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

FUD?  Methinks not  ;D.  In this case, FUD=Frequent Usage Discouraged (there are other words, but I'm trying to be genteel about it  :P).  MS Office became an albatross around my neck roughly a decade++ ago, so I cut the cord and let it sink.  Better options have been available for longer than that.  MS did a great thing in standardizing software development (?), and they've been trying to overcome that lapse ever since.  I wonder how long it'll be before they start billing by minutes of usage  :-\?  Office seems to be traveling in that direction.

xtabber:
Microsoft has backtracked because of the furor aroused, "customer feedback" in MS-speak.

However, they are still trying to force everyone into a subscription model - $99 per year for home users and $150 for business users, with up to 5 "devices" allowed per user.

Carol Haynes:
LOL - yippee

Actually I bet they haven't back tracked because of the public outcry - I bet it is because LibreOffice and Open Office have seen a surge and their sales are down.

Lots of stupid users out there but it doesn't take a genius to work out that expensive software that dies with your computer is a bad thing! and most people I have spoken to are horrified by the idea of an annual subscription (hell I still see a lot os Office 97, 2000 and XP out there, if you have had 15 years out of the price of your software why would you settle for an annual subscription?).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version