ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Opera to move to webkit/chromium rendering engines

<< < (2/7) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
As many of you know, I have always been nothing but positive about Opera, and would generally mock others (for fun) that don't use it...but now...I just don't know...Maybe it is time to finally knuckle under and work on my own rendering engine...not a simple task...but, there again...I know what I want, I know what I like, I know what I use, and I know I won't release it to the general public.
-Stephen66515 (February 13, 2013, 02:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is writing a rendering engine even possible for one man? I thought it was up there with the hardest code alive.

Does it make sense to just borrow the FF Gecko codebase for the basics and doing your own "Stephen-Moon" spinoff to just tweak the things you want?

40hz:
Does it make sense to just borrow the FF Gecko codebase for the basics
-TaoPhoenix (February 14, 2013, 11:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Makes sense as long as you plan on releasing your own engine under the terms allowed by the MPL/GPL/LGPL the various Gecko components are licensed under - which is to say under some form of F/OSS license.
 8)

KynloStephen66515:
As many of you know, I have always been nothing but positive about Opera, and would generally mock others (for fun) that don't use it...but now...I just don't know...Maybe it is time to finally knuckle under and work on my own rendering engine...not a simple task...but, there again...I know what I want, I know what I like, I know what I use, and I know I won't release it to the general public.
-Stephen66515 (February 13, 2013, 02:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is writing a rendering engine even possible for one man? I thought it was up there with the hardest code alive.

Does it make sense to just borrow the FF Gecko codebase for the basics and doing your own "Stephen-Moon" spinoff to just tweak the things you want?
-TaoPhoenix (February 14, 2013, 11:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Heh, I said that in the heat of the moment without really looking into it...turns out...not writing my own rendering engine...rather difficult it seems...not impossible, just, would be bloody stupid to try. - I think I will probably just build something in C# using Gecko or something else already built (Engine wise) and ONLY add features I want. 

It won't ever be released so, licensing is no real issue for me :)

TaoPhoenix:
Heh, I said that in the heat of the moment without really looking into it...turns out...not writing my own rendering engine...rather difficult it seems...not impossible, just, would be bloody stupid to try. - I think I will probably just build something in C# using Gecko or something else already built (Engine wise) and ONLY add features I want.  

It won't ever be released so, licensing is no real issue for me :)
-Stephen66515 (February 14, 2013, 02:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Make it a DC special! Then we can bug you for features!  :P

Though from the tech side I'm interested why merely a plugin won't do what you need, and that it needs to be a full app. And what kinds of things do you need it to do that the vanilla browser even with the plugin-verse doesn't already cover?

KynloStephen66515:
Because, if I make it myself, if I want a feature, I can just make it, and I can make it do exactly what I want, rather than risking getting things I don't need.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version