ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Hi-Tech laptop cooling modification for laptops.

<< < (2/3) > >>

Renegade:
I would typically only keep it in the freezer for a few minutes, and usually place it on top of something in there. I had the same worries, but... tight deadlines and a laptop that just shuts off completely... yeah... desperate measures. The laptop spent more time in the fridge. :D

techidave:
Renegade, maybe you should get a walk in freezer, then there would be enough room for you and the laptop.  A guy could work all day at that rate.  But then you might have to worry about freezer burn!

40hz:
Never brought a laptop into the desert. I don't lead that interesting a life. But I have worked with them in non-air-conditioned environments where the temperatures were well over 100 and the humidity not much less.

A few times, when I was in places where I really needed to worry about heat, I've used those flat hot/cold-gel sheets (such as are employed to treat  sports injuries) with good success. Toss one in a freezer for a few hours, drop it in its sheath, and you're set to go. I have an 8x16 very similar to the one pictured below that works really well for laptops. (Works pretty well on me too!)

:Thmbsup:

Renegade:
Incidentally and way off topic...

:Thmbsup:

Never brought a laptop into the desert. I don't lead that interesting a life. But I have worked with them in non-air-conditioned environments where the temperatures were well over 100 and the humidity not much less.
-40hz (February 13, 2013, 07:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

That is soooo begging for sarcastic comments on how horribly underpriviledged and hard done by you are for *having* worked in a non-AC place once upon a time. ;D :P But, I'll leave the sarcasm to someone else~! :P

40hz:
-40hz (February 13, 2013, 07:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

That is soooo begging for sarcastic comments on how horribly underpriviledged and hard done by you are for *having* worked in a non-AC place once upon a time. ;D :P But, I'll leave the sarcasm to someone else~! :P

-Renegade (February 13, 2013, 07:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Have your laugh. But I have worked in more non-conditioned places than I have the opposite in my lifetime. Put in many years in hot humid commercial kitchens and warehouses during my school years - and for a while afterwards while interviewing for my first "real" job. Did a lot of outside work in all seasons too.

And although I do (now) mostly wear the stereotypical geek polo shirt and khakis (actually black jeans) these days, I'm still not one of those corporate IT guys comfortably ensconced in an ergo-chair behind five or six 24" flat-screens with a 'hands-free' wrapped around my head.

Nope! I'm more the dude you'll see up in some 100+ degree crawlspace holding a wire probe, or hanging out with the vermin down in the waterlogged basement where the T1 'demarcs' come into the main utility core, or standing in a corner of a cold and noisy server room with a freshly unracked NetServer or Proliant in several pieces around me. Not very glamorous work I'm afraid.

So as you might surmise, doing something where I would need to lug a laptop out into some desert doesn't sound all that bad to me. As the matter of a fact, it sounds like a considerably more interesting work locale than most I usually find myself in,

Y'know, I think I might actually enjoy doing something like that every so often...

then again...

Maybe not! :P 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version