ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What are your favorite movies?

<< < (9/34) > >>

tomos:
[Dead and Alive]
It's a romantic horromedy (horror comedy). It mashes up a love story inside of a zombie apocalypse, but keeps things in perspective and makes fun of everything!
-Renegade (February 14, 2013, 05:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

sounds good :D

Have you seen Shaun of the Dead
(sounds like all of the above mixed with *real* life - brilliant)

Renegade:
Have you seen Shaun of the Dead
-tomos (February 14, 2013, 06:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 - That was GREAT! I loved it!  :Thmbsup:

40hz:
Stardust:
Adventure, fantasy, (riskier) jokes, nice effects, decent storyline and last but not least a strong cast. I mean, who can say no to Michelle Pfeiffer with Claire Daines as backup?
-Shades (February 14, 2013, 05:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

That was a BRILLIANT movie! I loved it! It's probably the closest thing to The Princess Bride, and very much comparable, though I couldn't say which I liked more. I've see TPB more times than I could count. (Used to stick it in while working - nearly wore out the tape.)
-Renegade (February 14, 2013, 05:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1. It was a great movie. Claire Daines hit the exact right note for her character. And Michelle Pfeiffer couldn't put in a bad performance if her life depended on it. She's an amazingly versatile actress. See her in White Oleander to catch a side of her acting talent most wouldn't suspect.

But if you really enjoyed Stardust, do yourself a favor and read the Neil Gaiman book (get a copy with the Charles Vess illustrations) it was based on.

Good as the movie is, the book is easily ten times better. Be forewarned however - the ending of the Stardust book is one of the most heartbreaking endings ever written in that it reminds us that all things - even those which we deem most precious - inevitably come with a price tag attached. Best avoided if you don't have a taste for bittersweet endings.

Ditto props for The Princess Bride. Also one of the best ever made. FWIW I'd put TPB over Stardust as a movie. As books go, however, I think Stardust has it slightly over The Princess Bride.
 8)

Renegade:
Continuing in the departure from horror and sci-fi, how about movies that made you cry?

Old Yeller

Not sure how old I was when I saw it, but probably around 7 or so.

It used to be common parlance to talk about crying to Old Yeller. Not so sure that it would evoke the same tears today though...

40hz:
^Watched a relative's son and daughter sit through it a while back. They're 7 and 5 respectively. Not a tear in sight. Truth is, I think they were rather bored by it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version