ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What are your favorite movies?

<< < (8/34) > >>

40hz:
@Mouser - +1 for Pontypool. Nice bit of originality in a sea of me-too zombie themed movies. About the only zombie apocalypse treatment I ever found believable and genuinely scary. Didn't even mind the absence of the lovely and outrageously athletic Milla Jovovich (as Alice) in that one.

An interesting cross-genre riff with some zombie/possession (and H.P.Lovecraftian blending of science and religion) is John Carpenter's 1987 Prince of Darkness. This one has it all: sci-fi, horror, demonic possession, some allusions to the (then radical) notion of the relationship between mathematics, information theory and DNA...

What are your favorite movies?

Suppose you could somehow capture the source of all evil and contain it in a reliquary kept hidden in the basement of an abandoned church. Suppose this evil was a tangible thing only temporarily imprisoned within a parallel dimension that was now beginning to replicate itself here in order break free within our own reality? That's the basic premise behind Prince of Darkness. An idea that got used quite effectively by Clive Barker when he penned his now legendary Hellraiser/Books of Blood series.

A university scientist-professor, along with his handpicked team of graduate students, is called in at the request of a priest to study something hidden and guarded by the church for centuries: a large glass container that was somehow sealed from the inside. It contains a swirling and radiant mass of...something. It used to be dormant. But as the priest points out -  something inside has started to awaken. Something that is trying to get out...

This film has it all. You even get a few appearances of none other than Alice Cooper as a possessed street derelict!

A few great quotes from the film:

(from the quantum physics lecture at the start of the film)

Let's talk about our beliefs, and what we can learn about them. We believe nature is solid, and time a constant. Matter has substance and time a direction. There is truth in flesh and the solid ground. The wind may be invisible, but it's real. Smoke, fire, water, light - they're different! Not as to stone or steel, but they're tangible. And we assume time is narrow because it is as a clock - one second is one second for everyone! Cause precedes effect - fruit rots, water flows downstream. We're born, we age, we die. The reverse NEVER happens... None of this is true! Say goodbye to classical reality, because our logic collapses on the subatomic level... into ghosts and shadows...

From Job's friends insisting that the good are rewarded and the wicked punished, to the scientists of the 1930's proving to their horror the theorem that not everything can be proved, we've sought to impose order on the universe. But we've discovered something very surprising: while order DOES exist in the universe, it is not at all what we had in mind!
--- End quote ---

A life form is growing out of pre-biotic fluids. It's not winding down into disorder, it's self-organizing. It's becoming something. What? An animal? A disease? What?
--- End quote ---

(static distorted borderline hysteric voice) This is not a dream... not a dream. We are using your brain's electrical system as a receiver. We are unable to transmit through conscious neural interference. You are receiving this broadcast as a dream. We are transmitting from the year one, nine, nine, nine. You are receiving this broadcast in order to alter the events you are seeing. Our technology has not developed a transmitter strong enough to reach your conscious state of awareness, but this is not a dream. You are seeing what is actually occurring for the purpose of causality violation.
--- End quote ---

Renegade:
I'll have to check out that Pontypool. Sounds pretty good.

As for Prince of Darkness... That was 1987... I'm pretty sure that I was drunk and/or high that year, or a good portion of it. I know I saw it, but... :P

And speaking of zombie flicks, this is a FANTASTIC one:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103873/?ref_=sr_1

It's a romantic horromedy (horror comedy). It mashes up a love story inside of a zombie apocalypse, but keeps things in perspective and makes fun of everything!

FAIR WARNING: You will likely piss yourself laughing. You have been warned~! ;D

I'd forgotten about that -- definitely one of the best zombie movies I've ever seen!

(Incidentally, it was directed by Peter Jackson - same dude that did the LotR.)

Hmmm... Come to think of it, Dead Alive was in 1992, and I'm pretty sure I was drunk & high that year too... :P Must have been really good if I remembered it~! ;D

Shades:
Stardust:
Adventure, fantasy, (riskier) jokes, nice effects, decent storyline and last but not least a strong cast. I mean, who can say no to Michelle Pfeiffer with Claire Daines as backup?

Renegade:
Stardust:
Adventure, fantasy, (riskier) jokes, nice effects, decent storyline and last but not least a strong cast. I mean, who can say no to Michelle Pfeiffer with Claire Daines as backup?
-Shades (February 14, 2013, 05:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

That was a BRILLIANT movie! I loved it! It's probably the closest thing to The Princess Bride, and very much comparable, though I couldn't say which I liked more. I've see TPB more times than I could count. (Used to stick it in while working - nearly wore out the tape.)

40hz:
To break away from the horror/sci-fi genre for a moment and enter into the realm of 'fantastic realism' (a place where I prefer to spend the bulk of my personal time) here's another two favorites of mine well worth watching: Big Fish and The Science of Sleep.

What are your favorite movies?  What are your favorite movies?

Everybody has probably seen or heard enough about BIg Fish already. But I'm frankly surprised that The Science of Sleep has remained as generally unknown as it has.

The Science of Sleep is IMHO one of the most brilliantly conceived little movies ever made. Especially impressive is the use of junk cardboard stop motion animation that runs throughout the movie. Just goes to show that you don't need a half billion dollars worth of CGI and special effects to produce a great picture. Just a solid story, a talented cast, and a little ingenuity. :up:

Here's the trailer:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version