ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What are your favorite movies?

<< < (19/34) > >>

tomos:
Thought I was in a different thread there for a minute :o :D

4wd:
Zardoz! OMG - Even Barbarella came off looking good by comparison to that orphan.
 (see attachment in previous post)
ohmygodohmygodohmygodipromiseillneverwatchitagainohgodipromiseipromiseipromise!!!!!
-40hz (March 12, 2013, 01:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Damn you 40!

Every time I think back to this picture I'm in danger of spraying coffee all over my keyboard  :-\ ;D

app103:
For cheezy but enjoyable I'll take the original (1976) Logan's Run any day.
--- End quote ---

Hey, I happen to love Logan's Run!  :-*

40hz:
For cheezy but enjoyable I'll take the original (1976) Logan's Run any day.
--- End quote ---

Hey, I happen to love Logan's Run!  :-*
-app103 (March 12, 2013, 07:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Me too. Nuthin' wrong with cheezy. As long as it's good cheezy.

Logan's Run is primo cheezy.  8)

40hz:
Really, what's not to like about Zardoz?
-mwb1100 (March 12, 2013, 04:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

The thing that really bugged me about Zardoz was it's obvious moralizing and a relentlessly formulaic counter-culture vibe. (A product of the times since 1974 was a good year for that sort of mindset.) I mean, like ok...warlike men bad...military bad...liberated feminist females good...government is evil...technology is evil...we get it already. ;D

I think my real complaint was that it never really lived up to it's premise. I was expecting some big revelation and some clever OMG plot twist. And it never materialized. The story was fairly weak and predictable - and the utterly unsatisfying ending was easily one of the most contrived reveals ever attempted. I mean seriously - all that for that?

Unfortunately, Zardoz isn't alone in that regard. Some more recent films such as The Number 23, Lady in the Water, and Shutter Island all had that same problem: intriguing concept, good build-up, capable cast - and then...nada. Almost like the producers didn't have a clue where to take it so they just wrapped it all up with a contrived resolution and a lousy payoff. Which was a shame considering the money they spent making them. And an even bigger shame considering the money their audience spent to watch them.

So it goes. :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version