ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best JAVA IDE

<< < (3/3)

f0dder:
That course looks interesting -- it looks like it's taught by the creator of Scala.-ewemoa (February 13, 2013, 07:38 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yup, Martin Odersky himself doing the videos. Iirc he had some other people make the assignments (or help him come up with ideas), and there's a lot of work behind the automated testing/grading platform.

Was a pretty decent course - but it's way more focused on FP than on Scala, definitely not a "learn scala" course :-)

gmB2k1:
I'm using Eclipse - it's free.
Because I'm still learning and doing miniscule taks my needs are very basic.
Actually a text editor with syntax highlighting would be sufficient if I could do debugging with it.

But when you go to eclipse.org the leanest bundle they offer for download are Eclipse Classic and Eclipse IDE for Java developers.
So I downloaded and started the program.
The first thing that greeted me was a dialog that said EGit couldn't find the Git installation.
And I was like double-u tee eff.
I don't need a DVCS to follow my tutorials and exercises and I certainly don't want it.
And it comes with a lot of other stuff, of which I'm not even sure what it is.
I checked the installed plugins and there were like a brazillion entries.

So I googled a bit and found this very helpful tip:

Go to the Platform Project's download area. You want the "Platform Runtime Binary" (49.5 MB) and the "JDT Runtime Binary" (24MB).
Extract and run the platform, go to Help -> Install New Software. Click "Add..." -> "Archive" -> choose the JDT zip you downloaded. Uncheck "Group Items by category", then select the "Eclipse Java Development Tools". Click next to install and restart eclipse when prompted.

I did this and now I have a pretty lean installation of eclipse. Just what I wanted.
Maybe this tip is helpful to someone else.

rdgrimes:
I have been using Genuitec's MyEclipse IDE (obviously based on Eclipse) for the last 7 years. Yes, it costs --- a whole $63 per year for the Pro edition, but I find it has some productivity features that makes it worth it.

Ath:
I have been using Genuitec's MyEclipse IDE (obviously based on Eclipse) for the last 7 years. Yes, it costs --- a whole $63 per year for the Pro edition, but I find it has some productivity features that makes it worth it.
-rdgrimes (March 02, 2013, 11:33 AM)
--- End quote ---
We had a professional subscription for several years up until about 3 years ago, but it never gave us much improvement over plain Eclipse, in case of features that we made actual use of. The last 2 years the updates came really slow, and really incompatible with newly updated plugins we used, so we switched to standard Eclipse, and bundled it with the most common plugins for our company-usage, and everybody is happy again (maybe except Genuitec ;))
And a few teams also use or switched to NetBeans.

ewemoa:
On a related note, was watching the "What's New in Android Developer Tools" Google IO 2013 session, and noticed that it looks like there's a fair bit of energy going into Android support for IntelliJ.  FWIW, there was an intro to IntelliJ functionality starting at around 03:27.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version